Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 LiveUSB

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Ubuntu 10.10 LiveUSB

    I have recently set up a Live USB version of Ubuntu 10.10 on a 2 Gb SanDisk card.
    I used the PenDrive program to make the LiveUSB directly from the Ubuntu iso.

    The result provides a remarkably clean and efficient Linux Desktop,
    which compares quite favorably with my Knoppix 6.4.3 Live USB.

    The quirky LXDE & PCManFM imperfections which plague Knoppix 6.2 and 6.4 are happily absent.
    Ubuntu 10.10, 32-bit has a few worrisome (installation) edges, but not many.

    Unfortunately, I haven't found Ubuntu forums as friendly or as useful as knoppix.net.
    I just got (in mid Jan 2010) a Launchpad query about a Ubuntu bug I posted there in May 2010.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    edit mid Jan 2010 -> mid Jan 2011
    My bad.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Perhaps you'd be willing to post an ISO (on Google docs, for instance) of the finalized version, assuming that was workable. I'd be interested to try it out.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Nothing special here:

    Ubuntu iso is at: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

    The maker of USB's from isos I used is at:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

    I download the iso first, then fire up the pendrive program.
    If you have Broadcom wi-fi, just be patient, the wl driver IS there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Note, this pendrive program is for Windows XP or 7.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Having used both Ubuntu 10.10 and Knoppix 6.4.3 both for some time now,
    I can offer the following amendments to my initial endorsement of 10.10.

    A basic deciding factor for me is that my internal wifi is a Broadcom
    unit which requires a 'non-free' driver, wl.
    Knoppix 6.4.3 installs this driver with no problem at all.

    Ubuntu is the only other current LiveUSB distro I've tried that does install wl.
    It does so seemingly reluctantly, and not without some problems thereafter.
    After finally installing wl, subsequent Synaptic operations seem very clumsy.
    Something about redo-ing initramfs seems to take a long time,
    with error messages that make you wonder if all went well or not.
    As far as I can tell, Synaptic is doing its thing, but not happy working
    around the 'non-free' driver's invasion into its neighborhood.

    No such problems arise in Ubuntu using an external RTL8187L wifi adapter,
    it may be noted.

    So, assuming living with one's internal Broadcom wifi is one objective,
    and insisting on reliable access to Synaptic is another:
    taming LXDE/PCManFM imperfections in Knoppix 6.4.3, currently yields
    a more satisfactory final result, than does dealing with a 'non-free'
    driver problem in Ubuntu 10.10.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    In researching 11.04 I decided to revisit Ubuntu 10.

    In so doing I became aware that the snags I decided I might live with
    in Ubuntu 10.10 are probably best described by Ubuntu Bug 562312.
    In short, the Broadcom wl driver will get loaded, but a necessary redo
    of initramfs hangs up and registers an error before returning. This
    snag also recurs on every subsequent access of Synaptic. Annoying but
    not catastrophic. You can review the Launchpad record yourself at

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/562312

    This bug was apparently brought under control in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
    I now have an improved Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, daily build ~11 Feb 2011 which
    has most of the kinks of Ubuntu 10.10 final ironed out. I found this at

    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lucid/daily-live/current/

    However, it's really tight for a 2 Gb USB setup, leaving only 360 Mb
    persistent after a fully successful Broadcom driver installation with no
    initramfs complaints. Compare this with the 1181 Mb persistence I get
    with a 2 Gb Knoppix 6.4.4 LiveUSB.

    Bug 562312 seemed to be the Broadcom/initramfs hang-up in Ubuntu 10;
    presumably 'fixed' in the noted daily build of 10.04 LTS. AFAIK the
    Ubuntu 10.10 that's to be downloaded does not have the 'fix' in it, but
    may perhaps may be upgradeable if your initial USB has a large enough
    persistent store. I wouldn't try this with a 2 Gb initial install.

    So, in conclusion I feel I should amend this thread with the suggestion
    that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with a daily build of 11 Feb 2011, or later,
    LiveCD version looks OK to me, but suggest that 4 Gb is a better fit
    than 2 Gb for the LiveUSB. This build avoids problems I've experienced
    with both Ubuntu 10.10-final and Ubuntu 11.04 beta1. It's not as elegant
    and transparent as Knoppix 6.4.4, but a workable alternative.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00