Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 6.4 Keyboard Settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17

    6.4 Keyboard Settings

    I've got a keyboard setting problem using 6.4 on a flash drive.

    Using System Settings/Regional & Language/Keyboard Layout I've set the Active Layout to "gb" but it doesn't survive rebootiing.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    There has been some discussion of startup script errors here (in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.) I personally use a modified version to keep the timezone set between boots, as it would erase my /etc/timezone file.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ jaques1

    I'm presuming you are using persistent store.
    If not, do that first.

    If all else fails, you can usually have /etc/rc.local to re-establish things
    at each boot with some console commands.
    Last edited by utu; 01-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    There has been some discussion of startup script errors here (in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.) I personally use a modified version to keep the timezone set between boots, as it would erase my /etc/timezone file.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Having read knoppix-autoconfig there doesn't seem to be a reason why my settings don't work. I've written a simple script (setkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb) cribbed from the GUI which works as a stopgap until I can find a better solution.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ jaques1

    I'm presuming you are using persistent store.
    If not, do that first.

    If all else fails, you can usually have /etc/rc.local to re-establish things
    at each boot with some console commands.
    Yes I'm using persistent store - for example Bluetooth loads on start up and my preferred home page appears in Iceweasel.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ jaques1

    I expect a solution to this partucular problem then
    is to call up your script from /etc/rc.local.

    For others, you might publish your script here.

    There is also the possiblility that your problem is another
    manifestation of an LXDE 'over-initalization' problem,
    the cure for which is covered here in another thread:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...gs-persistence

    See specifically my post #5 there.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ jaques1

    I expect a solution to this partucular problem then
    is to call up your script from /etc/rc.local.

    For others, you might publish your script here.

    There is also the possiblility that your problem is another
    manifestation of an LXDE 'over-initalization' problem,
    the cure for which is covered here in another thread:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...gs-persistence

    See specifically my post #5 there.
    I tried the modification in your post #5 but lost the window function symbols at the top right of each window. Sorted things out with a reinstall. For info heres's how I derived the script instruction: Go System Settings/Regional & Language/Keyboard Layout and choose your keyboard model and active layout. The resultant entry in the Command field is all you need to use in your script (in my case: "setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout gb").
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 01-25-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Formatting/typo fix

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue picture

Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue

$299.00