Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to run DOS/Windows programs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7

    How to run DOS/Windows programs

    Knoppix 6.4.3 Using filemanager I can "see" the program on the harddrive but when I click to Run, it asks me choose an application. I have no idea what application would be necessary to execute an exe.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... to start an "exe", a Windows-program, you have to use "wine".
    http://forum.winehq.org/faq.php?sid=...51d7cc525a014e

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    "Build personal Recovery-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix remaster)"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7
    Is WINE included in 6.4.3? I do not see it in any of the drop down's. How do I Open it?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... have a look at 'System Tools' ==> "Wine Configuration" and "Wine Uninstaller".

    This is a Knoppix forum; if you want to know how does "wine" works, you have to visit
    Wine forum

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    "Build personal Recovery-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix remaster)"

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    I am also new to linux and knoppix. This thread is a year old, but it is exactly my issue. I wish to run windows programs on knoppix. I downloaded wine for debian systems. When I click on the .deb file, I see a "synaptic package manager" that doesn't let me do anything.
    I do not see "wine configuration", etc. under "system tools", as was suggested by the above posting.
    Can wine be installed to knoppix? How does one do it?
    Thanks to anyone who replies.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Within Knoppix DVD wine is allready installed and to use it, you have to configure it.

    The easy way to install new packages is doing this with synaptic; this will try to solve dependicies. But if you've downloaded a package-xyz.deb you have to install it with
    Code:
    dpkg -i package-xyz.deb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00