Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: USB device speed too low?

  1. #1

    USB device speed too low?

    I am new to LINUX/Knoppix and I am hoping to use it to make a backup/restore system for a 5-year-old Windows XP PC (see my other thread). I am posting here because I have found that in Knoppix my USB HDD is much slower than it is in Windows. The 'usbview' program says it's 12Mbps 'full speed' and I am seeing transfer speeds of 700kB/s, whereas in Windows I am seeing 17MB/s.

    Can anyone help me to figure out what's wrong? I think the USB HDD should be running at 'high speed', which is much faster than 'full speed'. Windows must be running it at a higher speed, but I don't have a Windows equivalent to 'usbview' to check this.

    One possibility is that my Knoppix version is too old to know about 'high speed', but I want to be sure about the reason before I download the latest version.

    Thanks
    Peter

  2. #2
    In case anyone is interested, I downloaded the latest 6.4.3 and the transfer rate to the USB drive is much faster. It depends on the blocksize. With 512 bytes it was 1.1MB/s and with 32kbytes it was 21MB/s so that's going to be great for the job I want to do.

    However, usbview still shows that the USB HDD is only 'full speed' and not 'high speed', and the Windows usbview utility says the same, so they do not seem to be able to detect that the HDD is able to use the 'high speed' mode.

    Peter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$222.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99