-
using knoppix to get xp on external HD
Im not quite sure what Im doing so please be bear with me. My laptop died so I installed knoppix to view the internet. I cannot for some reason install xp to the hd again as it says there is no hd installed. i have a 600 gb external drive that i am trying to use but I cant even find where any of my hardware devices are located. I got as far as getting a partition set up on the drive but xp
still wont install. Is this even possable? I enjoy knopixx for browsing the web but i cant really play any games.(Cause I cant figure out how to install anything.) thx in advace
-
No reply after all this time ? Perhaps you asked the wrong question the wrong way in the wrong place.
If you are asking how to install Windows (which Windows ?) to an external hard drive, why are you asking on a Knoppix forum ?
If the Windows installer says there is no hard drive installed, then that may be because it will only install to internal hard drives but more likely it will only install to hard drives that the laptop's BIOS can boot from. In either case this is the wrong place to ask such a question.
I would suggest you either buy a new internal hard drive for your laptop or buy yourself a new laptop.
If you are new to Linux and want a challenge, then install Linux on the external hard drive and install Windows as a guest OS in a virtual machine running under Linux. Knoppix is not the best Linux distribution for installing to hard drives. There are plenty of good desktop distributions to choose from and several virtual machine solutions as well.
Good luck.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If the internal HDD is not detected by Windows XP setup and the HDD is still working with Knoppix then I would assume that XP needs a special driver to support your hardware. Maybe the manufacturer's website can give you an advice.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory
$105.00

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory
$27.95

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95