-
I not sure if I've understood your problem correctly but my simple understanding goes like this.
The install to USB will, by default, reformat your USB (stick, drive whatever) as a single FAT partition. This allows the syslinux boot loader to boot Knoppix but restricts you to only a 4 Gb overlay file.
There are options that don't involve installing a boot loader, such as grub.
1. I started with a 16 Gb USB stick which I divided into two 8Gb partitions - the first one vfat and the second one ext3. The install to USB noticed this as asked if I wanted it to just copy the files and not reformat the USB stick. I said yes. This arrangement gave me effectively a FAT partition with a little over 4 Gb free for a large persistent store and a second 8 Gb partition I can used as a mounted file system. I dare say I could encrypt both if I wanted.
2. Under older versions of Knoppix, you could put your persistent store (overlay file) on a different device/partition from the one you booted Knoppix from. You can't with Knoppix 6
but you can cheat. For example, you could put a copy of the (large) KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file on the linux partition and use the fromhd= cheat code to 'boot' Knoppix from there. Knoppix will look for your overlay file on the Llinux partition so you've got round the 4 Gb limit.
By doing a USB install of the CD (and not the DVD) you could get away with a FAT partition of only 1 Gb leaving you lots of room for the linux partition and the overlay. With a little more work you can get the FAT partition down to a tiny 8 Mb (yes Mb) but you may not want to go that far.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99