I would like to know as well.
The reference below says there's no graphical way to do it.
Whether that's the last word or not, I don't know.
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu
Let us know how you solve this.
Hi,
I've tried adding a new item to the Programming group of the Main Menu under LXDE.
I selected the Main Menu (editor) item from the Preferences group of the Main Menu itself. I filled in the correct information, including selecting an icon file. However the new menu item does not appear as an entry in the Programming Group of the (real) Main Menu.
I've rebooted and it still does not appear in the (real) Main Meny but if I start the Main Menu (editor) again, the entry is there.
What am I missing ? What should I try next ?
I would like to know as well.
The reference below says there's no graphical way to do it.
Whether that's the last word or not, I don't know.
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Main_Menu
Let us know how you solve this.
This is the menueditor "alacarte"; he is only designed for editing Gnome-menu, not LXDE-menu.I selected the Main Menu (editor) item from the Preferences group of the Main Menu itself.
Create a new entry in '/boot/grub/menu.lst' of your HD-installation and append at kernel-line "desktop=gnome".
Boot Gnome Desktop! Now all changes made with "alacarte" will be permanent in Gnome-menu (not in LXDE-Menu!).
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
I have a very simple menu editor installed, but you can only hide and show items
let me know if you want to know the name, I'll try and find it
... be aware: Gnome-desktop is only available with Knoppix-DVD not -CD!
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
Moi ? Mess around with XML files in hidden directories with a text editor ? I haven't had so much fun since I tried to configure an xfce desktop back in the days when I used Horrible Hog (or was it Hardly Horrendous ? I forget, gladly).
The Main Menu editor deposits a little file with a Spanish name in ./local/share/applications and references it from .config/menus/gnome-applications.menu, which might work for a gnome desktop but dunt work for lxde.
A copy the Spannish desktop file in ~/Desktop gave me a nice desktop icon with the correct name and iconic representation. So that might do except its usually hidden behind some window or other.
I managed to patch it into the "Application Launch Bar" "Panel Applet", which is much more satisfactory, but not by doing it "graphically" - that use of the word isn't in my English dictionary: I prefer the terms "wimpingly" or "gooeyly".
I did it by editing .config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels/panel (this is a structured file but it's not XML). In the Plugin block with type lanuchbar (I feel hungrier already), I added the subblock:
Naturally I renamed the desktop file first just in case I ever add another application (which seems unlikely now that I know just how easy this is).Code:Button { id=/absolute/path/of/spanish/desktop/file }
I had to make one minor adjustment to the desktop file itself. On the desktop, the Name[us] and Icon[us] entries are honoured but in the lunch bar the Name[us] and the Icon entries are honoured. You say potato and I say potato and all that.
As for the Main Menu itself, I'm flummoxed. I have, in the past, done this by hand for the gnome, kde and xfce desktops but I can't find where the lxde main menu comes from or goes to.
Me thinks some brave soul might like to boot the Knoppix iso, take a snapshot of KNOPPIX-DATA, uninstall some hapless app, take another snapshot, compare the snapshots and so reverse engineer the problem.
Anyway, utu, thanks for the encouragement to get this far.
I started a project called lxmed. The project is written in Java and it's main goal is to provide a gui tool for customizing your Main Menu in LXDE. The work is still in beta, any suggestions are appreciated.
Yes it's on sourceforge. You can find it by typing lxmed in sourceforge or google. Or you can follow this link. It is still in beta. It has a few unfinished stuff, buy you get the idea what it looks like.
LXMED is similar to alacarte. I try to use even XDG (http://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-desktop-menu).
I want add a new category in menu called Personal near Application, Office, System, Games, Internet.... with two entries to lauch my personal two script...
but, i think, will be impossible !!!
I have only been able to create two file .desktop to put in ~/.local/share/application; and now I've two new entries in system sub menù....not what I'd like to have....mhhhh
bye

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99