Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remastering with Parallel Python

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Remastering with Parallel Python

    Hi, I'm an academic researcher who has access to some spare computers at night and was hoping to use them to run some of my simulations. I ran across Knoppix and really feel like it could be useful.

    Unfortunately, I know very little about the ins and outs of Linux and don't have much free time to learn. Does anyone know of a remastered version of Knoppix that has PP (the parallel python module) installed? Ideally, I'm looking for a live CD that would boot up and immediately start up ppserver.py so i could just boot up the computers and walk away (ie: set it and forget it).

    I already have my simulations written with PP in mind to take advantage to the multiple cores of my desktop, and was hoping there would be a live cd that would be relatively painless to use. That way i could just burn the copies of the CD, boot up the other computers at night with the distro, and be able to run simulations on them without having to really extend my source code, or learn how to ssh into each computer separately and start up ppserver.py

    Thanks
    Jordan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    I don't really have a remastered version ligging around but I think knoppix is a bit overkill
    I would use slitaz in your place...

    and remastering knoppix really is not a lot of work, if you have a specific questions I'm sure they'll help you out

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the suggestion. If I get some free time in the next month i may try and take the plunge so future researchers will have an relatively painless option.

    The only question i have left is, how secure is slitaz (and the general knoppix version)? When they boot, i will have to enable the network adapter to accept connections for ppserver, but the computer will still be connected to the main network. Do i have to worry about major security issues using either knoppix or slitaz?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    security is never really a big problem if you are going to use a live cd.
    Second of all, there are only a couple proof of concept viruses for linux. There is no real one in use that I know of.
    if you want to play it really safe you can still set up a firewall(there is a script for it somewhere in the menu) but I think that'll give troubles with your ppserver.

    anyway, I wouldn't worry at all about security issues here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


COMMODORE 1571 FLOPPY DRIVE WITH JIFFYDOS. TESTED AND WORKING picture

COMMODORE 1571 FLOPPY DRIVE WITH JIFFYDOS. TESTED AND WORKING

$199.00



Vintage Commodore 1541 Floppy Disk Drive FDD C64 w/ Manual,insert Nice, **Tested picture

Vintage Commodore 1541 Floppy Disk Drive FDD C64 w/ Manual,insert Nice, **Tested

$140.00



Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested. picture

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.

$350.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++ picture

Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++

$449.99



Commodore 1084S-D 14

Commodore 1084S-D 14" CRT Monitor For Amiga / C128/64, 1084 Docs, Works

$355.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99