-
strange /etc/fstab after hdd install
Having (I think) successfully done a hdd install of knoppix V3.2-20-05-2003 I have a system that's up and running properly again. All I've done extra so far is run pppconfig then apt-get to pull in a few extra apps. I was having a poke around and was a bit puzzled by my /etc/fstab file.
During hdd install the three existing partitions were found; hda1 bootable ext3 ~ 1GB, hda2 swap ~ 1GB and hda3 ext3 ~ 8GB. I choose to leave as is, and in answer the the q. which one to set as / I went for hda3. Fine everything works, but (the important parts of) /etc/fstab looks like
/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
What happened to (the only bootable partition) hda1? If I don't need it, I'm quite happy living without it though from a purely athestic point it'd be nice if hda3 could be renamed hda1 then... But where's the machine booting from and how do I recover the extra space available on the hdd that doesn't appear to be in any partition. Lastly, what should I do to make /cdrom (a cd-rw) writeable and appear as an icon on my desktop.
Many thanks!
Similar Threads
-
By cheetahman in forum General Support
Replies: 19
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
-
By gadgerama in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
-
By HOLOTMO in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 02:59 PM
-
By troubleshooter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00