-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: strange /etc/fstab after hdd install

Originally Posted by
todsr1
Having (I think) successfully done a hdd install of knoppix V3.2-20-05-2003 I have a system that's up and running properly again. All I've done extra so far is run pppconfig then apt-get to pull in a few extra apps. I was having a poke around and was a bit puzzled by my /etc/fstab file.
During hdd install the three existing partitions were found; hda1 bootable ext3 ~ 1GB, hda2 swap ~ 1GB and hda3 ext3 ~ 8GB. I choose to leave as is, and in answer the the q. which one to set as / I went for hda3. Fine everything works, but (the important parts of) /etc/fstab looks like
/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
What happened to (the only bootable partition) hda1? If I don't need it, I'm quite happy living without it though from a purely athestic point it'd be nice if hda3 could be renamed hda1 then... But where's the machine booting from and how do I recover the extra space available on the hdd that doesn't appear to be in any partition.
The partition is obvisously still there and is commented out in the fstab under the section Partitions found by knoppix remove the # at the start of the /dev/hda1 line and you will be able to use it. If you want hda3 to appear as hda1 you will have to re-partition the drive.
Lastly, what should I do to make /cdrom (a cd-rw) writeable and appear as an icon on my desktop.
Many thanks!
It already is writable to check you should use cdrecord -scanbus and it will show up in the output as device 0,0,0. You may want to change the entry in the fstab from /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0 if the burning programs have trouble recognizing the drive. Then right click on the desktop and choose create new -> cdrom device and select either /dev/cdrom or /dev/scd0 if you changed it as the device and you will have access to it from the icon created.
Similar Threads
-
By cheetahman in forum General Support
Replies: 19
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
-
By gadgerama in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:00 PM
-
By HOLOTMO in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 02:59 PM
-
By troubleshooter in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 01:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

HP Z800 Workstation x2 Intel Xeon E5630 8GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD/OS
$199.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00