-
Senior Member
registered user
Working with ntfs
@kl522 (and others)
I think you could help us all if you would define some practical examples of do's and don'ts
working with ntfs for linux purposes.
I avoid almost all writes to ntfs from within linux, I avoid automatic mounts of ntfs on linux,
but I have one experience I think I survived which is not quite so conservative.
I think it is correct to say the material on my 6.2 and 6.4 USB installs, including the persistent
store image, resides on a vfat medium. vfat is a linux format deemed two-way compatible with Windows FAT16 and FAT 32, including Windows XP an 7, which operate basically on ntfs. Please pardon any picayune distinctions for the moment.
I occasionally store copies of the vfat contents of the USBs on the Windows 7 partition, manipulate the contents among the vfat files with a Win 7 file manger, and subsequently return the USBs to some activity as mounted and active Knoppix installs.
I have not observed this type of activity to have any ill effect on Win 7 or XP media or systems.
So, I'd be interested in any opinions on whether I'm doing anything scary here, and moreover, would hope this might prompt the exposiion of other examples of working with ntfs files we might deem safe.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00

Vintage Apple computer Cross Metal Ballpoint Pen Black Ink Gold Trim
$125.00

Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box
$100.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks
$220.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99