-
Senior Member
registered user
The use of 'fromhd' to point to the LiveUSB itself
removes its most useful basic intention of allowing
the alternative designations of other storage media
to serve as locations of compressed KNOPPIX files.
Reason enough to relegate its use this way as only
a work-around for the problem at hand.
-
Hi everyone !
I have a similar problem with knoppix 6.4.3 and my ATI HD 2600 xt (very similar to HD 3650).
I think my system start and I hear female voice but is all black, I tried several cheat like no3d, no composite ecc. but nothing happens...
Then I tried with nomodeset and finally saw the System setup green bar and the Desktop, but..... but falls into a loop !
It reboot x-server infinitly! 
I found an half solution and it works for me !
Code:
knoppix nomodeset xmodule=vesa
I tried with xmodule=radeon but it falls in the loop.
Have You an idea for how to make them work ?
sorry for my English (I will try to understand your answers
), Bye.
-
OK ! 
I found this command on the forum:
Code:
knoppix nomodeset nocomposite
and now I have the radeon Mesa driver active (Direct rendering YES).
...but non Compiz
-

Originally Posted by
Fiodor
ATI

Originally Posted by
Fiodor
radeon
Oh dear oh deary me.
My understanding is that ATI Radeon is an outfit that fears GPLng their drivers will put them out of business. As a consequence, there are two drivers available from Debian (on which Knoppix is based). An Open Source driver written by guess work, which I don't think does 3D acceleration so no Compiz and a repackaged Closed Source driver that quirks more often than works. You probably have the first and count yourself lucky you do.
I had a machine at work with an ATI Radeom graphics card. It was a Leprechaun. Not one of those crock of gold Leprechauns but the other kind. It was a three wish Leprechaun: I wish I had an Nvidia card, I wish I had the right to mess with the company's hardware and I wish I'd never laid eyes on this machine. I wasted hours and hours and hours over months and months and months trying to get it to work properly. SABENA.
I think you are out of luck but maybe, just maybe, some one else will take exception to what I've just written and give you the answer you seek. I suspect you got no answer because you added your question to a thread that had drifted off onto some other topic. My answer will bring your question to people's attention and maybe you'll be lucky. At least I hope so.
-
On knoppix 6.2.1 my video card works great without cheats and compiz ON.
It works great also on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 with radeon open source driver and goes ever better with closed driver fglrx.
I don't understand nothing about the green gnome that You have called leprechaun....
someone else knows how to enable compiz?
Thanks.
-
Thank you sharing the information that you laptop works fine with other versions of Knoppix and even with Ubuntu. That paints a very different picture.
I have nothing to suggest other than I have the impression that these drivers are very sensitive to kernel versions and even whether the code is compiled for a i686 or i386.
You have it working, but without Compiz. You could try 6.4.4 to see if it goes any better.
-
I think maybe you're right, ubuntu 10.04 and knoppix 6.2.1 has the same kernel 2.6.32, while ubuntu 10.10 has 2.6.35 and knoppix 6.4.3 has 2.6.36 and related xorg-server-drivers.
I have read in another thread that knoppix 6.4.4 is Beta version, can you confirm this ?
Do you know when the stable version will be out?
I don't want burn a CD for a beta... 
Bye.
-
Knoppix 6.4.4 Released

Originally Posted by
Fiodor
I don't want burn a CD for a beta...

Cheapskate you are in luck.

Originally Posted by
Fiodor
Do you know when the stable version will be out?
The releases notes have been published so it looks like it is out .... http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix64-en.html.

Originally Posted by
Fiodor
I don't understand nothing about the green gnome that You have called leprechaun....
Never heard Krishna called that before.
-
It's all ok with knoppix 6.4.4 
ATI works great and now NO more tearing !
Thanks.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA
$196.99

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU
$6998.00

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99