Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 6.4.3 hangs on "Booting the kernel"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    6.4.3 hangs on "Booting the kernel"

    I'm new to this formu, so I would like to say hello to everyone.

    I'm playing with knoppix from 6.0 and everything worked fine until now.
    When I try to boot 6.4, I get:

    Probing EDD (edd=off to disable) ... ok
    Decompressing Linux ... Parsing ELF ... done ... ok
    Booting the kernel

    and everytging hangs.
    As i sad no problem with knoppix 6.0. and 6.2 on the same hardware.
    CD with 6.4 is good - on different machine it boots with no problem.

    My hardware
    Laptop Asus V1V
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
    4GB Ram
    Ati Radeon HD3650

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Have you tried the self-test? - i.e.
    Code:
    knoppix testcd/testdvd
    One can do that on an alternate machine, e.g. your mom's desktop, etc. Also - It's wise to test the integrity of the downloaded ISO (if it's not from a torrent, which is self-tested.) Look up "md5 checksum" on the web to see what's involved Finally, burning at SLOW speed is the easiest way to ensure the integrity of the final disk.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 02-14-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ marlas

    If krishna's suggestion doesn't solve your mystery, look at this post:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/27621-what-is-edd

    and try adding 'edd=off' to your cheatcodes, as that poster did.
    Then let us know if this helps.

    I also get the probing message, but in my case there is no ill effect.
    I have not discovered how to get the message to go away yet.

    And welcome to this forum.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Here's my solution for the cosmetic problem, that of
    just getting rid of the boot phase edd message line.

    I found that interrupting boot right at first with
    knoppix edd=off
    effectively removed the 'probing for EDD' notice.

    I expected syslinux.cfg might serve as well to automate this.
    I expect mods to its APPEND line was the more appropriate for kernel keywords.
    I expected its DEFAULT line more appropriate for knoppix cheatcodes.
    Wrong, two out of three.
    Here's what worked for me, referring to the first lines of
    /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg:

    #DEFAULT adriane
    DEFAULT knoppix edd=off
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off (etcetera)
    TIMEOUT 100

    edd=off didn't work for me at either end of the APPEND line.

    I don't know if this solution will get around the more objectionable
    cases of not booting at all or booting with unnecessary delays.
    I'd like to hear, either way.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    Solved

    I found knoppix version 6.4.4 on repos.
    I downloaded and .... it works.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Based on don999's idea at

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...tcodes-instead,

    it may be worth a try to dictate the location of KNOPPIX in this way, if you know it,
    and EVEN if that location is not necessarily an hdd, such as /dev/sdb1, the location of a LiveUSB.

    You can test this at the command line, and if it helps,
    you can add it by modifying the previous DEFAULT suggestion to

    DEFAULT edd=off fromhd=/dev/sdb1.

    This is unnecesary in my case, surely redundant, but I've not observed any ill effects.

    I'm working toward a single (hopefully simple) work-around that does the following:
    1--Removes an unnecessary comment 'Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)', where it's not needed;
    2--Removes as well an unnecessary delay which is not needed; and
    3--Supplies the device designation to boot-with, when needed.

    It would be nice if this work-around didn't create any new problems.

    For the hopelessly curious, this 'EDD problem' of Knoppix 6.4 seems
    just to be our current manifestation of a persistent linux problem
    going back many years. One usually characterized as the sometime
    failure of automatic linux installation processes to correctly deduce
    the device designation linux needs to boot properly.

    Ubuntu experience on this problem goes back to at least 2004.
    IMO, the attempt to use of EDD to help solve the the device assignment
    problem may in some ways have made the problem more ubiquitous.
    Compounded by the facts that some of us HAVE it and some don't,
    and some of us NEED it, and some don't.

    See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...grub/+bug/8497.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ marlas

    Glad your problem went away. How do you explain that?
    Are there really any Knoppix 6.4 cases of 'won't boot at all'?
    Most distros have this as THE case of interest, understandably.

    @ anyone

    I'm interested in whether fromhd=/dev/sdb1 would work, sdb1 not
    being an hdd.

    Also interested if anyone can give a concrete example, not in
    shorthand, using the cheatcode knoppix_dir=/path/to/KNOPPIX/Directory,
    which I take to be shorthand by a much more experienced person
    than myself.
    Last edited by utu; 02-16-2011 at 09:52 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I'm interested in whether fromhd=/dev/sdb1 would work, sdb1 not
    being an hdd.
    Yep, that works fine (assuming sdb1 is in fact the correct designation for your e.g. flash drive.)

    Cheers!

    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800 picture

Golf Challenge - Sierra On-Line - 1982 / Atari 400/800

$199.95



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29