Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 6.4.3 hangs on "Booting the kernel"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiodor View Post
    ATI
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiodor View Post
    radeon
    Oh dear oh deary me.

    My understanding is that ATI Radeon is an outfit that fears GPLng their drivers will put them out of business. As a consequence, there are two drivers available from Debian (on which Knoppix is based). An Open Source driver written by guess work, which I don't think does 3D acceleration so no Compiz and a repackaged Closed Source driver that quirks more often than works. You probably have the first and count yourself lucky you do.

    I had a machine at work with an ATI Radeom graphics card. It was a Leprechaun. Not one of those crock of gold Leprechauns but the other kind. It was a three wish Leprechaun: I wish I had an Nvidia card, I wish I had the right to mess with the company's hardware and I wish I'd never laid eyes on this machine. I wasted hours and hours and hours over months and months and months trying to get it to work properly. SABENA.

    I think you are out of luck but maybe, just maybe, some one else will take exception to what I've just written and give you the answer you seek. I suspect you got no answer because you added your question to a thread that had drifted off onto some other topic. My answer will bring your question to people's attention and maybe you'll be lucky. At least I hope so.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    On knoppix 6.2.1 my video card works great without cheats and compiz ON.

    It works great also on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 with radeon open source driver and goes ever better with closed driver fglrx.

    I don't understand nothing about the green gnome that You have called leprechaun....

    someone else knows how to enable compiz?

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Thank you sharing the information that you laptop works fine with other versions of Knoppix and even with Ubuntu. That paints a very different picture.

    I have nothing to suggest other than I have the impression that these drivers are very sensitive to kernel versions and even whether the code is compiled for a i686 or i386.

    You have it working, but without Compiz. You could try 6.4.4 to see if it goes any better.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    I think maybe you're right, ubuntu 10.04 and knoppix 6.2.1 has the same kernel 2.6.32, while ubuntu 10.10 has 2.6.35 and knoppix 6.4.3 has 2.6.36 and related xorg-server-drivers.

    I have read in another thread that knoppix 6.4.4 is Beta version, can you confirm this ?
    Do you know when the stable version will be out?

    I don't want burn a CD for a beta...

    Bye.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242

    Knoppix 6.4.4 Released

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiodor View Post
    I don't want burn a CD for a beta...
    Cheapskate you are in luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiodor View Post
    Do you know when the stable version will be out?
    The releases notes have been published so it looks like it is out .... http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix64-en.html.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiodor
    I don't understand nothing about the green gnome that You have called leprechaun....
    Never heard Krishna called that before.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    It's all ok with knoppix 6.4.4

    ATI works great and now NO more tearing !

    Thanks.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST 0F23651 8TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 128MB 3.5

HGST 0F23651 8TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 128MB 3.5" Ultrastar He8 HDD

$89.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95