Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Installing Knoppix on an old laptop without a cdrom

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    5

    Installing Knoppix on an old laptop without a cdrom

    Hello

    I have an old Laptop and I want to install Knoppix on it but this laptop has no cdrom so I had to install DOS on it and I copied the Knoppix cdrom on the hard disk from the laptop.

    I made a bootdisk and if I want to install Knoppix I get this kernel panic:
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/hda1...cat: No FIle /KNOPPIX/etc/ld.so.cache

    Setting paths...rm: not found
    awk: not found
    awk: not found

    Total memory found: kB
    expr: not found
    expr: not found
    mkdir: not found

    Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...mkdir: not found
    chown: not found
    /linuxrc: cannot create /var/run/utmp: directory nonexistent
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 12861
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 12861
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01
    __________________________________________________ ______

    So how can I solve this problem so that I can install knoppix on my laptop ?

    greetigs

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    For whatever reason, the boot disk failed to mount the big image. Did you put it like C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    5
    yes, C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX\

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by AnD
    yes, C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX\
    Is this c:\knoppix_directory\knoppix_file or is the last KNOPPIX\ a directory if so then move the file to the first \KNOPPIX directory.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    5
    if I open the first directory c:\KNOPPIX\ I see then 5 directories (DEMOS,KNOPPIX,LINUXTAG,MAKINGOF,TALKS) and 4 files (autorun.bat,autorun.inf,cdrom.ico,index1.htm)

    and if I open c:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX\ I can see 27 files with a boot.img file in it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You want the big Knoppix file (~692mb) in the c:\Knoppix\ directory.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    5
    OK, it works but how can I install it now on my hard disk ?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    5
    Why does Knoppix need 2 gigabyte or more, I have a hard dsik that's 1.4 giga so it will not work

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by AnD
    Why does Knoppix need 2 gigabyte or more, I have a hard dsik that's 1.4 giga so it will not work
    It needs that much space to install the files, when everything on the cd is uncompressed it is > 2GB. You could try KnoppixKDE though and change the FSMIN value in the knx-hdinstall script and use the modified script to install. IIRC when installed KnoppixKDE uses about 1.2 or 1.3GB so you should be able to install and have a /swap partition.

Similar Threads

  1. old laptop (Sony) with PCMCIA CDROM - cant install
    By simonmac2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
  2. installing from hdd/external cdrom
    By hoss in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 07:33 PM
  3. my laptop dosent have a cdrom drive
    By endersshadow001 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 05:29 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 12:21 AM
  5. HDD install on old laptop with no cdrom
    By Onetrack in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 05:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00