-

Originally Posted by
ICPUG
Someone suggested fromhd as an alternative.
That was me and I was mistaken.
I use fromhd=. I've a set up that boots a hard drive with a syslinux.cfg that uses fromhd= to boot a USB stick. Sounds stupid but I want my persistent image to be portable and home=is not implemented for Knoppix 6. 
I also booted the USB stick and used fromhd=/dev/sr0 to boot Knoppix on DVD. Hence my confusion. I think of a CD/DVD as an iso file, which of course, it isn't: it's a burnt iso file.
I suspect that once upon a time someone found they were burning an excessive number of CDs while testing an upcoming Knoppix release so they added the bootfrom= cheatcode to save time and money. These days, I suspect, most of the testing is done using fromhd= to boot the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file. Since bootfrom= was a cheat code for developers they saw no reason to support any more.
The file knoppix-cheatcodes.txt still talks about "knoppix.sh", which I know does exist in Knoppix 6. The problem here is not that a single cheat-code is obsolete. The whole text has to be read with extreme caution. The same goes for the (English) wiki. Who updates that ? Is it up folks like us ? (The blind leading the blind comes to mind).
I'm thinking I might be better off joining the German language forum. Ich kan Deutsch nur ein bisschen. So I wouldn't be posting but what I read might be most helpful.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

Dell Optiplex 7040 MT, i7-6700 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NO HDD/OS #95
$65.00