Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Some 'official' cheatcode clarifications

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Some 'official' cheatcode clarifications

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 06:47:53AM -0800, I wrote:
    > Greetings, Klaus.
    >
    > A relatively recent Knoppix cheatcode list
    >
    > http://mirror.leaseweb.com/knoppix-d...cheatcodes.txt
    >
    > does not include 'fromhd' as a viable cheatcode for Knoppix 6.4. (<-- Edit: my error as you will see)
    >
    > Some English Knoppix forum posters say they believe there is a viable cheatcode 'fromhd' which can be use to point to 'the KNOPPIX file' on an arbitrary hdd. Are they right?

    They are right, "fromhd" sets the name of the disk to search for Knoppix
    files.

    > If so, might this same 'fromhd' just as well be used
    > to point to 'the KNOPPIX file' on a USB storage device?

    While "fromhd" determines the disk, "knoppix_dir" tells the directory
    name of the compressed KNOPPIX*-files. The total path would then be

    $fromhd -> mounts the disk to /mnt-system
    $knoppix_dir -> tells the name of the KNOPPIX directory containing the filesystem in /mnt-system.

    I just had a look, it seems like the cheatcode is actually listed in the Knoppix 6.4 cheatcodes (and up):

    ### Configuration / Persistent image ###
    ...
    knoppix toram Copy to RAM and run from there
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 Copy to Harddisk and run from there
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image
    knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda1/KNX.iso Access image, boot from ISO-Image. ***)
    knoppix knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX Directory to search for on the CD.
    knoppix knoppix_name=KNOPPIX Cloop-File to search for on the CD.
    ...

    Regards
    -Klaus

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 06:47:53AM -0800, I wrote:
    > Greetings, Klaus.
    >
    > A relatively recent Knoppix cheatcode list
    >
    > http://mirror.leaseweb.com/knoppix-d...cheatcodes.txt
    >
    > does not include 'fromhd' as a viable cheatcode for Knoppix 6.4. (<-- Edit: my error as you will see)
    >
    >
    An error indeed. The problem was that bootfrom does not appear to work, even though it is listed. Someone suggested fromhd as an alternative. The response from Klaus here confirms my response to that suggestion by agreeing what fromhd does.

    However we still have no confirmation on the possibly defunct status of bootfrom.
    Last edited by ICPUG; 02-18-2011 at 06:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ ICPUG

    Your 'indeed' deserves my heartfelt 'my bad'.

    I wonder if Klaus meant to have an explanation *** at the bottom of the cheat codes.
    It might be calling attention to an important detail in the usage of bootfrom.

    I didn't get my clarification either, but I'm not complaining.
    Indeed I'm not.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    Someone suggested fromhd as an alternative.
    That was me and I was mistaken.

    I use fromhd=. I've a set up that boots a hard drive with a syslinux.cfg that uses fromhd= to boot a USB stick. Sounds stupid but I want my persistent image to be portable and home=is not implemented for Knoppix 6.

    I also booted the USB stick and used fromhd=/dev/sr0 to boot Knoppix on DVD. Hence my confusion. I think of a CD/DVD as an iso file, which of course, it isn't: it's a burnt iso file.

    I suspect that once upon a time someone found they were burning an excessive number of CDs while testing an upcoming Knoppix release so they added the bootfrom= cheatcode to save time and money. These days, I suspect, most of the testing is done using fromhd= to boot the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file. Since bootfrom= was a cheat code for developers they saw no reason to support any more.

    The file knoppix-cheatcodes.txt still talks about "knoppix.sh", which I know does exist in Knoppix 6. The problem here is not that a single cheat-code is obsolete. The whole text has to be read with extreme caution. The same goes for the (English) wiki. Who updates that ? Is it up folks like us ? (The blind leading the blind comes to mind).

    I'm thinking I might be better off joining the German language forum. Ich kan Deutsch nur ein bisschen. So I wouldn't be posting but what I read might be most helpful.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    The file knoppix-cheatcodes.txt still talks about "knoppix.sh", which I know does exist in Knoppix 6.
    No, wrong again.

    I read
    Knoppix 6.1 ignores the knoppix.sh file. use the overlay-(ext2)filesystem /mnt/system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img instead.
    on the Wiki page http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto.

    I don't know what that sentence is trying to say but for Knoppix 6.4.3 at least, a file at

    Code:
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh
    works.

    Great if you have a USB install as no remaster is needed. Bad if you've a CD/DVD (comes back to the lack of home= again) as you'd need to remaster after every change.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00