-
Hard drive rescue help
Hi,
About a month ago, stupid as I am, I got somewhat irritated on my laptop and gave the keyboard a gentle smash. 30 seconds later Windows 7 gave me the blue screen, and since then no OS can be found when trying to boot. I'm quite broke (and probably will be for some time) and would as far as I can prefer to check out the possibilities of rescuing the most important files myself, rather than paying for someone other to do it for me.
I have been able to boot from a usb-stick, testing several open source OSs. (Hope that means the damage is limited to the internal hard drive.) But, since I'm completely new to this non-windows stuff I still haven't had any success in trying to access my hard drive, mainly because all the commands are all like hebrew to me.
Just found out about Knoppix and decided to try it. I'm running the File Manager, but it only shows to drives: pendrive and knoppix_fs. No c:\. Does this means I won't be able to use Knoppix to rescue any files? (I can add that the machine emits some sort of asthmatic humming sound while trying to boot from the hard drive. Guess that should be taken as a bad omen. An acquaintance told me this might not necessarily mean it's all over, so I'm still giving it my best try.)
Thankful for every help I can get!
Regards,
Jens
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver
$299.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00