Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: PCManFM always comes up maximized

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by utu
    Is there an OFF button somewhere on Compiz?
    There's this in the cheat codes sheet (their spelling, not mine)

    Code:
    knoppix no3d         Don't use compiz 3d fuctions
    Very Freudian.

    Another approach might be to try

    Code:
    Main Menu > Preferences > (Re-) start 3D desktop compiz
    when your frame is incomplete.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Forester: Could be a valid Austrian term KK uses we're not familiar with.
    Thanks for lots of good ideas.

    Are any programs in 6.4.3 dependent on Qt?
    I note Compiz has a workaround called 'Qt Window fix'.
    Last edited by utu; 02-27-2011 at 01:04 AM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Per this article,

    http://wiki.compiz.org/Troubleshooti...g_for_problems

    Edited startcompiz to include '--replace ccp' in the LXDE menu item Preferences (Re-) start Compiz...

    Will also try this to recover PCManFM from bad behavior.
    Last edited by utu; 02-27-2011 at 03:10 AM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I just used Preferences / (Re-) start Compiz from the LXDE menu
    to recover from a case of the 'Forester's lost frames syndrome'.
    Didn't have to re-load my wi-fi, either.

    I have post #13 mod and Compiz' Utility/Qt fix in also.
    These may be unnecessary; I never tried the just menu item to recover before.
    Just try the LXDE menu route first.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Recovering from Compiz and/or 3d Snags & Crashes

    I'm using Knoppix 6.4.4 as a LiveUSB.
    My laptop uses an Intel i915 video chipset. Compiz is on by default.

    I occasionally have video difficulties, which I assume arise
    from conflicts among LXDE, PCManFM, Compiz and my hardware.

    Here is the toolkit of work-arounds I have found and use.
    I invite your comments and additions to the same.

    1...The only temporary cure I know of is the cheatcode, no3d. If you are
    really convinced, THEN add it to your DEFAULT line in
    /mnt-system/boot/syslog/syslog.cfg.
    Your problems won't then be caused by Compiz, anyway.

    2...If your problem is missing frames on windows, or if the only
    problem is that windows can't remember to come up un-maximized,
    THEN use the LXDE Menu item Preferences/(Re-) start ... Compiz.

    3...If your keyboard is un-responsive, or if your lxpanel won't
    come out of hiding, or if the lxpanel app shows one of your cpus
    is in overload THEN use control-alt-backspace to reset X.
    Sorry, but this throws your wi-fi off-line as well.

    4...If you are mildly 'anal' (as in analysis) about these things,
    There is a list of work-arounds built into the CompizConfig Setting Manager.
    Go to LXDE menu item Preferences/Compiz...Mgr/Category Utility/.
    Try some of these and report you findings.

    5...If you are really 'anal' try out ALL the choices in the
    CompizConfig Settings Manager; keep the results to yourself.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Full marks for points 1 to 3. Not so sure about the scatological final 2 points.

    I've been running KDE 4 from the MAXI edition and that isn't running with Compiz anyway. No problems with missing window frames.

    When I've an unresponsive keyboard and a blank screen at work (where Knoppix is running in a Virtual Box) the following often works: press ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to the console window ... count to 10 very, very slowly ... repeat if nothing happens ... when-and-if the console window wakes up ... press ctrl-alt-f5 to switch back to the GUI.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Only 5 is scat. The Compiz GUI is a nightmare I'd avoid.
    4 is serious, but none of them worked for me. They are hardware dependent.
    Had one serious crash 1-4 wouldn't handle;
    I decided to rebuild rather than fuss with it any longer.
    And no, I don't know how I crashed the system, but I did.
    Keep squashing.

    Isn't your alternative the same as ctl-alt-backspace the hard way?

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Isn't your alternative the same as ctl-alt-backspace the hard way?
    No. ctlr-alt-backspace restarts the X-server. This seems to involve the death and rebirth of all applications and potentially loss of context and or data. My alternative is an attempt to wake up an unresponsive desktop so I can carry on. It may be specific to my Virtual Machine set up but its worth a try anyway. There's nothing to lose.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Forester

    Some follow-up, FYI.

    Working with no3d, but still having selected hide-when-not-in-use for the lxpanel,
    I have found NO cases where I can recover from the panel staying hidden, except
    via ctl-alt-backspace; and none so far that needed a complete re-boot.

    ctl-alt-f1 and wait and ctl-alt-f5 NEVER allowed recovery.

    Even though Compiz can't be blamed for this remaining problem, the apparent
    responsiveness of the LXDE system to keyboard and/or GUI commands
    is MUCH improved WITHOUT Compiz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00