Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Automatical booting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sibiu, Romania
    Posts
    6

    Automatical booting

    How to set knoppix up to boot automatically without user intervention if I only have 32 Mb RAM ?
    The problem is that it says I have only 15 mb ram, and it needs a swap partition. As I have no hdd, I don't have any partitions, so I can't use swap.
    But I only use it as a router/firewall/samba server and I don't need a HDD for that.
    The problem is that when it boots up, I have to plug in a monitor and kb, and to press enter twice, and I can't do that if, let's say....I'm not at home and there was a power failure.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Automatical booting

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeze Styler
    But I only use it as a router/firewall/samba server and I don't need a HDD for that.
    The problem is that when it boots up, I have to plug in a monitor and kb, and to press enter twice, and I can't do that if, let's say....I'm not at home and there was a power failure.
    If you have to connect a kb and monitor then that's an issue with your box not Knoppix- AFAIK Knoppix doesn't care if you have a monitor, keyboard or not and XF86Config is already to set allow "mouse open fail". The only reason you should need to intervene in the boot process is to enter any boot parameters that your box needs. The cd boots on its own. Have you checked your BIOS to see if it has setting to allow booting headless/keyboardless?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    you have chosen the wrong product. I think there is something in the name of 'leaf' or something like that that is specifically designed for this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sibiu, Romania
    Posts
    6
    You don't understand. The problem is that knoppix complains about me not having enough memory.
    32 Mb memory is enough for me, but I want it to stop complaining.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    this is the product I was referring to

    http://leaf.sourceforge.net/article.php?sid=82

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeze Styler
    You don't understand. The problem is that knoppix complains about me not having enough memory.
    32 Mb memory is enough for me, but I want it to stop complaining.
    Knoppix is a huge distro to boot on only 32M. There are several other bootable cd router/server distros out there already that don't need that much RAM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Dude, RAM is *cheap* these days. Upgrade the box to at least 128MB and you will get much better results, especially if you have no HD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeze Styler
    You don't understand. The problem is that knoppix complains about me not having enough memory.
    32 Mb memory is enough for me, but I want it to stop complaining.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sibiu, Romania
    Posts
    6
    It's not about money.
    I use a PI 60Mhz with 32 Mb SIMM memory.
    Now, SIMM is very hard to find and 32 Mb costs as much as 128 Mb DDRAM !!!
    I've found the part in the startup script that was prompting me to press enter, and now I'm looking for a way to modify it.
    The problem is that it's in the compressed filesystem.
    Now I'm reading about how to modify it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeze Styler
    I use a PI 60Mhz with 32 Mb SIMM memory.
    Now, SIMM is very hard to find and 32 Mb costs as much as 128 Mb DDRAM !!!
    I second that.

    I just found out that you should be able to run Win2k3 P1-133 with 128MB, but I guess very few own such a system (even with this unlikelyness I accidently found one His sytem seems to un remarcably fine). P1-Motherboards most of the time only fit 2x 2x16MB max. or else you can use 2x 2x32MB EDO but only the low 64MB will be cached, which makes writes to the upper part verrryy sllooowwww.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Here are some router distros that should work on your hardware, no rebuilding, no huge RAM requirements, no keys to press- they just boot and work. If you're set on using Knoppix on your hardware- well then good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Booting booting... CRASH
    By mortfrog in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM
  2. FDD Booting
    By ar8000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 12:03 PM
  3. Booting?
    By Spam in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 05:45 AM
  4. Booting
    By coldlamper in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 10:49 PM
  5. help booting from cd
    By peter77 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99