Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Unofficial cheatcodes to backup and restore persistent data

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    utu san,

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    A most impressive response to my wishlists. Thank you very much.
    Several comments and questions come to mind. For extra credit, of course.
    A most impressive list of questions. I'm sorry, but I don't need extra course credits: I'm far too old.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    It seems to me you have answered a much larger question as well:
    how to add 'unofficial cheatcodes' to Knoppix.
    Very carefully.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Have you invoked these patches yourself?
    Yes. I don't have a comprehensive test suite or an army of test engineers. So no guarantees.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Couldn't these same functions appear as well on the LXDE menu,
    perhaps with a few additional strokes?
    In my opinion, no. You should not back up an active file system and you certainly can't restore to one. The cheat codes work directory on /KNOPPIX-DATA before the UNIONFS is created.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    And, your time zone is what ?
    All this is done in MOT (My Own Time). I surmise you are on GST (German Student Time).

    The clever Wiki software tells me all times are in GMT from which I infer vBulletin™ have deduced my time zone from my IP address. Scary.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I also noted that the tar/gz and untar/gz operations took a lot
    longer than I would have expected, considering how fast
    the KNOPPIX compressed file comes up.
    Yes I noted that too. Remember compression generally takes a lot longer than decompression. The cheat codes are using /bin/busybox tar, not the real thing. It might be the real thing can make full use of your multi-core CPU and Giga bytes of memory while the BusyBox version can't. I don't know.

    You could try BusyBox with lzma compression (that would please kl522) or you could try running the real tar from the /init script. KK has some scary stuff in /init that runs real programs in their own chroot environment. Test your mettle and all that.

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    This question will allow you to calibrate my expertise:
    No, you don't need a special editor to create a patch. The command line will do just fine.

    The simple theory is you generate the patch file by comparing the original file with the changed file thus:

    Code:
    diff -Naur script.org script > script.patch
    You can later apply the patch to an unaltered copy of script with:

    Code:
    patch < script.patch
    I find this works quite well for saving my changes to 'system' configuration files and then reapplying my changes to new configuration files after an OS upgrade or something.

    The diff program generates differences with a few lines of context either side and the patch program uses the context, not just the lines numbers, to figure out where the patch should go. Great if someone has changed the file so all the lines numbers have changed. Not so great if they've change the same lines so the context is different. You get a conflict that basically you have to resolve by hand.

    That's the basics. It can get a lot more involved than that but since patches are how Open Source software developers get stuff done I guess knowing a little about diff and patch is

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks, Forester.
    I'll get to work on my bash merit badge right now.
    Regards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99