Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I/O errors when running "head", UNLESS CD is already spinning - how to unload cache?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    18

    I/O errors when running "head", UNLESS CD is already spinning - how to unload cache?

    Ok, this is a weird one.

    I've burned at least five DVDs and/or CDs with 6.0.2, and every single one of them does the same thing.

    If I try to run the program "head" (as in, "head -5 stuff.txt", to display the first five lines of the file), and if the DVD or CD isn't already spinning, I get the error, "bash: /usr/bin/head: Input/output error". Moreover, the error is permanent until I reboot -- the error is somehow cached, so that the system *knows* that the optical disk must be hosed, and doesn't bother to retry.

    If, on the other hand, I type in a few other commands, doesn't really matter what they are as long as it gets the CD/DVD spinning, then trying to run "head" works just fine and dandy. How do I get the system to un-cache the "disk is hosed" error so that I can actually run the command without having to reboot?

    Note that similar problems happen when I put the system into sleep mode and then re-wake it, but they happen on EVERY command, so finding out how to clear out this cache may help prevent more problems.
    Last edited by FlameWeasel; 03-03-2011 at 07:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    18
    By the way, yes, I've searched the forum. All I've turned up are threads in which it is explained that the errors are because of a bad burn to the CD or DVD. THIS IS NOT A BAD BURN. It is replicable across multiple different machines and MANY different DVDs and CDs.

    Unless I've got four defective optical drives and every computer I've used the disks in is defective, again, let me reiterate that this is NOT caused by a bad burn.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameWeasel View Post
    Unless I've got four defective optical drives and every computer I've used the disks in is defective, again, let me reiterate that this is NOT caused by a bad burn.
    By keep reiterating the statement, you can't convince us that it is not a bad burn or a bad knoppix image to start with. No, you can't.

    You have to convince us by telling us you have done the necessary tests - testcd and sha1sum thingie. You have to convince us by telling us you have indeed burning it at the lowest speed. But you did not mentioned any of those.

    So we are not convinced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT

$225.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99