Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: X Compose Key

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242

    X Compose Key

    Hi,

    Has anyone any experience of using the X window compose key mechanism to enter diacriticals (é ä usw), ligatures (æ, ß usw), currency symbols (£, €, ¥ usw) and other special characters (©, ½, ¿) under Knoppix ?

    This has always worked nicely with Linux (well, X windows) until now. Is there some Knoppix specifics I should know about ? I'm using Knoppix 6.4.4, MAXI EN edition and, no I don't do anything daft like lang=uk when I start Knoppix.

    I get the dead-key effect as expected but no special characters. The best I have got so far is <compose> 1 2 gives 1/2 instead of ½, which I can do without a compose key.

    Any suggestions anyone ?

    P.S. If you're using the DE edition, you might need to view this posting using UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Does this article by Balsa and one he references by Jensen
    have anything useful to offer? or, just old hat to you?

    http://gwyn.tux.org/~balsa/linux/deadkeys/index.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    or, just old hat to you?
    Thank you for the suggestion utu. No I hadn't read the articles. They brought back painful memories of the days before I moved to Linux when my colleagues were using either AZERTY or QUERTZ keyboards as their nationality dictated and I discovered that my typing was no less accurate for setting the keymap to en_US and just not looking.

    The articles suggested a couple more things to try but, hélas, they didn't work.

    It seems that KK hates UTF-8 and believes German volk world-wide, including the Pennsylvanian cousins and their descendants, are better off without Unicode. Certainly there is no way en_US.UTF-8 works under Knoppix 6 despite it being the Debian 6 default. I suspect this is a consequence of the way internationalisation is (or isn't) built into KK's GNU libc library special mix.

    I have tried the only European 'lang' cheatcode with a UTF-8 suffix. Yes, my compose key works if I boot with lang=fi-utf-8. Sadly this isn't terribly useful as my Finnish is limited to «yksi kaksi» and «Älä tapa!» .

    I don't believe that UTF-8 is requirement for a compose key so I booted up the old faithful: Knoppix 5 and configured a compose key and sure enough it works. So, alas and alack, the absence of a compose key looks like another Knoppux 6 'feature'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99