Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: MPlayer Install on a HDD System - what's the most reliable?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1

    MPlayer Install on a HDD System - what's the most reliable?

    I've done a lot of searching with numerous iterations of keywords in all the forums here, as well as, Googling, and while I've come close to working out a way for a noob to do the install, usually some spanner is thrown in the gear works. And there doesn't seem to be many recent posts about this subject which leads me to think it's just not possible/pragmatic to do so.

    Can anyone who's been successful in installing MPLAYER and KPLAYER on their HDD installed Knoppix 3.9 give a rundown of how they did it?
    I -=really=- want to jetison my winbloze box, and playing .wmz and quicktime files is one of my last stumbling blocks.


    Thanks in Advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Hi eduard879 and welcome to the Knoppix forums.

    I am sorry you did not get an immediate reply but I think your question leaves people baffled.

    You mention Knoppix 3.9. Most people here are using 6.4 or 6.2. Your Knoppix must be 5 years old. I think you'd have trouble finding mplayer software to go your Knoppix.

    You talk of HDD installed Knoppix. Sorry, like many here I run Knoppix from USB and have never tried the HDD install. It has been suggested there is little point and one is better off installing a proper desktop distribution to HD but I really can't say.

    The page http://knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html leads me to believe mplayer is available with Knoppix 6.4. With Knoppix 6, KDE is no longer the default desktop but it is available with DVD MAXI edition. This has KDE 4.0 which I don't think has kplayer. Media players you might try are amarok, kaffeine, totem and the dragon player. I don't use media players very often and when I do I usually use vlc so I'm afraid I can't really advise which is best.

    Quite recently someone with Knoppix 6.2.1 was having issues with media players but I suspect that was probably more to do with their ATI Radeon graphics and its driver than the player itself but have a look at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...-a-short-while anyway.

    Enjoy !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black

$387.46



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99