-
wicd asks for root password
I've been hesitating to ask here or the wicd forums but they appear to be closed to registration
.
I didn't like nm-applet and for some reason I decided to get rid of it and replace it with wicd.
The problem is that wicd asks for the root password to "get acces to your computer's network card".
After some google searches everyone told me I needed to run the deamon "/etc/init.d/wicd". if it is running wicd will not ask for the root pass.
first I tried to add "/etc/init.d/wicd start" to rc.local. this didn't appear to run and yes I've chmoded 775 to rc.local, I assume this is suposed to make it runnable? so I added "rm -f /home/knoppix/testfile" and after next boot testfile was still there.
then I installed sysv-rc-conf but wicd was already getting started up at boot? after looking with rcconf(another tool) it turned out that knoppix-autoconfigure and another script was never run. So I'm guessing knoppix doesn't really looks at the other /init.d/ scripts and just runs knoppix-autoconfigure.
at last I had a little bit succes with /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfigure. I edited it and found some lines that started the default networking deamon. I've replaced it with wicd and sure enough, when I boot and look at "/etc/init.d/wicd status" it says wicd is running.
The problem now is that wicd still asks for a root password but it doesn't mattter what pass I give, it just works.
If i gave a fake pass befor the fix I got a bunch of error messages about the deamon could not be started,... .
I'm using wicd 1.7.0 and knoppix 6.4.4 cd edition.
Forester, from this topic http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...etwork-Manager I could see that you have wicd running on a debian system and from here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...highlight=wicd I've read you have some notes on a piece of paper about wicd, did I forget a step on that piece of paper?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99