Wow. Now I'm confused. Could you post your /etc/sudoers file for us. ?
I'd also still like to know how you turn off the automatic granting of root access.
Wow. Now I'm confused. Could you post your /etc/sudoers file for us. ?
I'd also still like to know how you turn off the automatic granting of root access.
I asked my question a second time because I didn't realise the first question was on page 2 and thought I must have forgotten to ask it in the first place.
I understand now. Knoppix /etc/sudoers comes with the line:
which allows you to sudo anything without a password and the wicd desktop icon thing starts up without asking for a password. Changing this to:Code:knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
is what I thought you must mean when you wrote:Code:knoppix ALL=PASSWD: ALL
This means you can still do sudo but you need to enter your password and the wicd desktop icon thing starts up asking for your (i.e. knoppix user not root) password.automatic granting of root access has been disabled by me
Commenting out the line means you can't sudo any commands any more and it does not matter what password you give the wicd desktop icon thing, you can't use it to do anything useful and you may even get a network connection. Hmm. I thought it would fall back to asking for the root password 'cos that was what you said it had done.
So you added an exception to /etc/sudoers allowing wicd to start up properly without a password. Good. Myself I would have done:
which means sudo wicd without password and sudo everything else with password.Code:knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/wicd knoppix ALL=PASSWD: ALL
I actually went to the LXDE menu. Desktop Session Settings (I think) and unchecked the option to start the wicd desktop icon thingy. That way I get no icon, so no password prompt, until (if) I start wicd from the LXDE menu. I still get a network connection. I still get a network connection when I boot into console mode with knoppix 2.![]()
Umm, I'm really confused now. Would it be too much to ask you you to post your /etc/sudoers file ?
Oh, and how did you disable the automatic granting of root access ?
oops, my bad. I'm terrible at explaining let alone in English.
to disable Auto granting of permissions:
To disable root prompt for wicd:comment the line out that goes like this: "knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD :ALL" by placing an # before it
my complete sudoers file right now:knoppix ALL= NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/wicd
Code:# # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root. # # Please consider adding local content in /etc/sudoers.d/ instead of # directly modifying this file. # # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file. # Defaults env_reset # Host alias specification # User alias specification # Cmnd alias specification # User privilege specification root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command %sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL #includedir /etc/sudoers.d #disable wicd root prompt knoppix ALL= NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/wicd
forester, I think your missing out on the
%sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
line.
as knoppix is a member of the sudo group it can still do all commands but you need to enter a password.
so it's essentially the same as
knoppix ALL=PASSWD: ALL
at least it's behaving that way
It could be that I'm making a mistake here because to be honest, I don't understand the sudoers file syntax.
I thought that might come up. My /etc/sudoers contains
My sudoers is that from Knoppix 6.4.4 MAXI EN edition but the sudo lines are from Debian Lenny. Is yours derived from the 6.4.4 CD or did you carry it forward from 6.4.3 ? It is closer to the lines to be found in Debian Squeeze.Code:# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password # %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
The extra bit in the Debian Squeeze file reads "Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move it further down". So, I revise my last post to:
My knoppix user is a member of the sudo group, so I too could use the default rule you use. I wonder what we'll find in 6.4.6 when it arrives.Code:knoppix ALL=PASSWD: ALL knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/wicd

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer
$649.95
Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor - Tested
$180.00
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99