Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: wicd asks for root password

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Wow. Now I'm confused. Could you post your /etc/sudoers file for us. ?

    I'd also still like to know how you turn off the automatic granting of root access.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    Wow. Now I'm confused. Could you post your /etc/sudoers file for us. ?

    I'd also still like to know how you turn off the automatic granting of root access.
    yes, I can see your pretty confused
    that code block is my sudoers file, it didn't let me upload the original sudoers file so I pasted the contents.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    I asked my question a second time because I didn't realise the first question was on page 2 and thought I must have forgotten to ask it in the first place.

    I understand now. Knoppix /etc/sudoers comes with the line:

    Code:
    knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL
    which allows you to sudo anything without a password and the wicd desktop icon thing starts up without asking for a password. Changing this to:

    Code:
    knoppix ALL=PASSWD: ALL
    is what I thought you must mean when you wrote:

    automatic granting of root access has been disabled by me
    This means you can still do sudo but you need to enter your password and the wicd desktop icon thing starts up asking for your (i.e. knoppix user not root) password.

    Commenting out the line means you can't sudo any commands any more and it does not matter what password you give the wicd desktop icon thing, you can't use it to do anything useful and you may even get a network connection. Hmm. I thought it would fall back to asking for the root password 'cos that was what you said it had done.

    So you added an exception to /etc/sudoers allowing wicd to start up properly without a password. Good. Myself I would have done:

    Code:
    knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/wicd
    knoppix ALL=PASSWD: ALL
    which means sudo wicd without password and sudo everything else with password.

    I actually went to the LXDE menu. Desktop Session Settings (I think) and unchecked the option to start the wicd desktop icon thingy. That way I get no icon, so no password prompt, until (if) I start wicd from the LXDE menu. I still get a network connection. I still get a network connection when I boot into console mode with knoppix 2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59