Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Errors on shutdown

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    Errors on shutdown

    I downloaded 3.2 06-06-en yesterday and got it working on my system. There are two problems I encountered.

    First, 'vi' takes a LONG time to start in an xterm. 2-3 minutes. Everything else takes much less time. But this is minor compared to....

    Second, when I shutdown I get the following message repeated endlessly after the X system exits. setting the noscsi option at boot doesn't help. I have to do a hard reset or a hard power off.

    SCSI0: ERROR on channel 0, id0, lun0, CDB: Request sense 00 00 00 40 00
    Info fld=0x515d0, Current sd0b:0: sense key Medium Error
    Additional sense indicates L-EC uncorrectable error
    I/O error: dev ob:00, sector 1333xxx

    (the 'xxx' above increases for each repeat of the message).

    I waited appox 5 minutes and saw MANY of these messages before doing a reset/power off.

    Any ideas on what's causing this?

    Hardware info:
    M/B: IWill KK266plus (1.2GHz Athlon)
    RAM: 1GB
    Video: ATI Radeon All-in-wonder
    Sound: integrated into M/B


    M

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Errors on shutdown

    --Check the md5sum on your ISO and re-burn; sounds like you have a read-error on the CD.

    --Unless you actually have a SCSI board in the system, in which case one of your disks might be going bad...

    --FYI, if you have a fast CD burner - I never burn mine at over 32X. More reliable that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by mogodo
    I downloaded 3.2 06-06-en yesterday and got it working on my system. There are two problems I encountered.

    First, 'vi' takes a LONG time to start in an xterm. 2-3 minutes. Everything else takes much less time. But this is minor compared to....

    Second, when I shutdown I get the following message repeated endlessly after the X system exits. setting the noscsi option at boot doesn't help. I have to do a hard reset or a hard power off.

    SCSI0: ERROR on channel 0, id0, lun0, CDB: Request sense 00 00 00 40 00
    Info fld=0x515d0, Current sd0b:0: sense key Medium Error
    Additional sense indicates L-EC uncorrectable error
    I/O error: dev ob:00, sector 1333xxx

    (the 'xxx' above increases for each repeat of the message).

    I waited appox 5 minutes and saw MANY of these messages before doing a reset/power off.

    Any ideas on what's causing this?

    Hardware info:
    M/B: IWill KK266plus (1.2GHz Athlon)
    RAM: 1GB
    Video: ATI Radeon All-in-wonder
    Sound: integrated into M/B


    M

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the reply. I also sent in a 'help request' to Klaus, and he replied!!! To answer your comments:

    - the md5sum of the .iso is correct, so that's good.
    - I do NOT have any scsi devices in my system.
    - my burner maxes out at 16x, and I used that speed.

    Klaus asked me to use the knoppix testcd boot option. It did find that something failed a md5sum check. The message said it was either damaged data on the cd, or possibly bad ram.

    I'm going to reburn a cd at a slower speed and try again. I really don't want to buy new ram.

    And as an additional bit of info, su-ing to root and running a 'shutdown -h now' halts the system and powers it down. Love that apm!

    Thanks,

    M

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by mogodo
    - my burner maxes out at 16x, and I used that speed.
    Then try 10x?

    I know that lots of people here burn Knoppix at 4x, even with their 'monster' 48x burners.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Henk. I tried 8x this morning and got the same md5sum error when running knoppix checkcd. I'll try some things and reburn at 4x to see if that helps.

    Thanks!

    M

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4
    In the end it *DID* turn out to be a burn problem. I had to resort to 1x burning to get a good burn that didn't munge KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.

    As some trouble shooting advice to others, the errors I encountered, indicated there either was a burn problem, or bad ram. I eliminated the bad ram problem by trying the disk on another machine and getting the same errors. I also was able to locate the error on the disk (KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX) and test for it on each reburn. In the end a 1x burn gave me a successful md5sum on that file and a good cd.

    Happy burning.

Similar Threads

  1. Immediate shutdown (no waiting)
    By probono in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 05:44 PM
  2. Many Errors at .xsession-errors file ...
    By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM
  3. hd install shutdown
    By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 10:14 AM
  4. Logout != shutdown
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2003, 07:21 PM
  5. Problems with x - Boot-shutdown... Boot-shutdown...Boot-shut
    By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1785.15



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 8th Gen: Core i7-10510U, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, WIn 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 8th Gen: Core i7-10510U, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, WIn 11 Pro

$299.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.60



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16

APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16" M1 Pro 32GB 1TB SSD Gray Tahoe -Good

$899.99



HP ENVY x360 15 (15m-cp0) Pre-Owned Ryzen 7 2700U 32GB 1TB SSD Radeon RX picture

HP ENVY x360 15 (15m-cp0) Pre-Owned Ryzen 7 2700U 32GB 1TB SSD Radeon RX

$349.00