Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: USB Remasterig Using Minimum Real Estate

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    I've seen plenty of your posts and you guys aren't that dumb.

    You're winding me up.

    Fermat says there are advantages to being dead.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Progress so far:

    doremaster cloop image creates a fatter KNOPPIX compressed file.
    doremaster create knoppix-data.img <anything> doesn't work.
    doremaster prune knoppix-data doesn't work, with or without
    a persistent store.

    target LiveUSB still boots, but doesn't appear to benefit from
    its larger size.

    doremaster create knoppix-data.img <...> does not recognize an input
    such as 2000 or 2000 Mb or <2000> or <2000 Mb>.
    Last edited by utu; 03-22-2011 at 05:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    "you guys aren't that dumb" xd
    indeed I have learned
    after using the script a new knoppix.sq was created like I said but as it was just a test, I decided to delete it. But for some strange reason the original knoppix.sq was removed. so after a reboot it couldn't find it anymore (logical)

    Now comes the smart part: I had a backup
    Kinda saved my day as you can imagine
    Maybe I should decide to simply try to understand the script befvore I try some more stuff with it.
    and forester, don't overestimate me

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    after using the script a new knoppix.sq was created like I said but as it was just a test, I decided to delete it. But for some strange reason the original knoppix.sq was removed. so after a reboot it couldn't find it anymore (logical)
    Oh dear. Your knoppix.sq is mounted so you can see it at /mnt-system/KNOPPIX. There is nothing to stop you mounting the file system again at some other location. If you did this, you'd have what might appear to be two knoppix.sq files but when you delete one the other vanishes as well. That may be what happened here. I don't know. I wasn't there.

    You used /dev/loop2. Why did you think that was a good idea ? It reminds of when I was 15 I stuck the points if a pair of scissors into the main sockets on the bench in front me in the middle of a biology lesson to just to see what would happen. I didn't hear the bang. I was told afterwards it was very loud.

    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    Now comes the smart part: I had a backup
    Yep, you're learning. That's why I went and bought two USB sticks for test purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    Maybe I should decide to simply try to understand the script before I try some more stuff with it.
    Careful, you might grow wisdom. The number of times I've decided I need software that does X, googled a bit, skimmed through a man page and then spent the rest of night/week/month trying to the convince the software I was right and it was wrong .... I've learnt at least to try to use the software the way it was intended and then decide if it meets my needs or not.

    Think long term. Today you may remaster from your favourite stick to a backup and then use the backup stick for a while. Next time you would remaster from the backup to your favourite stick. Whatever you call your sticks, you alternate between them. That's why I called them flip-flop. I could have called them ping-pong but if I'd wanted to be obscure I'd have called them Hunky Dory or Castor and Pollux.

    Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    and forester, don't overestimate me
    I don't. I just don't know what to estimate. I once showed an old lady how to send and receive e-mail. She had a daughter in Australia and that does things to people. The first problem was she didn't know what 'click the left mouse button' meant. At least she said so, I got useful feedback and we could move forward. Here's what doesn't work: feedback of the form "XYZ didn't work" with no other information but the clear implication that someone is stupid.

    Now, were you try prune knoppix-data and report you an got error of the form:

    Code:
    losetup: could not find any free loop device
    I would suggest that it is just possible you forgot to remove /dev/loop etc. as the instructions in post #5 recommended. But you haven't and neither has utu so I can't make that suggestion can I ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    [email protected]

    Please put me on your mailing list for doremaster 2.0.
    I am declaring victory forthwith and retiring from
    this scavenger hunt.

    I'm sure there was a pony in there somewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046 picture

Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046

$24.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00