Yeah, I've been put down by rc.local too
but when I type touchpadoff=1 in the terminal nothing happens.
what happens if you put the command in /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh? (if non-existing, create it)
I prefer a nano/mouse to a touchpad on my laptop.
I think I occasionally I may 'fall into' my touchpad
making things happen I didn't intend, like losing
all the text I've spent time putting into something
or other.
I thought 'disabling the touchpad' might
solve my problem.
Well, I can input TouchpadOff=1 to a terminal and
get some temporary relief. But when I try to get the
same action by putting this command in /etc/rc.local,
I get nada, nothing, zilch. Sudos and Sleeps don't help.
I'm not used to being ignored this way by /etc/rc.local.
Can someone explain this to me, or better yet, tell
me how to get what I want?
I just want to write a few symbols somewhere that
will disable my touchpad until such time as I want
to undo this with a similar simple process.
Enormous praise and great fame awaits the first
really good answer to my problem.
Yeah, I've been put down by rc.local too
but when I type touchpadoff=1 in the terminal nothing happens.
what happens if you put the command in /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh? (if non-existing, create it)
@dinosoep
touchpadoff=1 aint right.
It's TouchpadOff=1
After you enter that, you should get no action from the touchpad.
That works, but it's temporary.
My problem is that something occurs LATER than /etc/rc.local which resets this.
I get into other troubles using /home/knoppix/.bash_profile.
No enormous praise for you.
Think bigger.
Last edited by utu; 03-16-2011 at 06:33 PM.
I think that it should be possible to disable the touchpad in a configuration file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics with the following contentCode:# synclient "TouchpadOff=1" #
@dinosoep
I thought the knoppix.sh= idea might work, too.
Mild praise appropriate for your good idea.
But, it doesn't do the trick.
I tried this as an input stream knoppix.sh=/home/knoppix/.bash_idea
...where .bash_idea is a script I KNOW works (temporarily).
@ klaus2008
Hi, klaus. Here's my choices:
knoppix@Microknoppix:/etc/X11/Xsession.d$ ls -a
. 75dbus_dbus-launch
.. 80im-switch
20x11-common_process-args 90consolekit
30x11-common_xresources 90gpg-agent
40x11-common_xsessionrc 90x11-common_ssh-agent
45knoppix 98vboxadd-xclient
50x11-common_determine-startup 99x11-common_start
52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules
Any of these seem appropriate?
And can I edit one of these files 'live'?
Last edited by utu; 03-16-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Sorry, the DOG ate my whitespaces:
knoppix@Microknoppix:/etc/X11/Xsession.d$ ls -a
.................................................. ............75dbus_dbus-launch
.................................................. ............80im-switch
20x11-common_process-args....................90consolekit
30x11-common_xresources......................90gpg-agent
40x11-common_xsessionrc.......................90x11-common_ssh-agent
45knoppix......................................... ......98vboxadd-xclient
50x11-common_determine-startup...........99x11-common_start
52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules
I think that it would be a good idea to create a new configuration file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics because creating a new file is as easy as editing an old one. In both cases you need to be root. I would use the editor leafpad by issuingin a terminal.Code:sudo leafpad /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics
After you have created or edited the configuration file you must restart you Xserver in order that the new configuration will be used. In most cases it will be sufficient to hit the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. But do not forget to save your work before you restart the Xserver.
Ah.
rc.local (and knoppix.sh) are run from knoppix-autoconfig, which executes in a root context at run level 2. X-11 is started during the transition from run level 2 to run level 5. You are trying to change a setting in X-11 before it is there to influence.
In layman's terms, you are trying to toss the omelette before you've broken the eggs.
Did you know that the gnome desktop has a setting "Ignore touchpad while typing" ? I don't know of an equivalent in any other desktop.
@ Klaus2008
Your one-line solution works like a charm.
I am mystified, since xorg.conf is UNCHANGED.
Even so, the laptop's touchpad IS turned off.
It is gone for both root and knoppix users.
The only problem I see is one would have to
review the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ entries to have
a clue that a change was made and how to undo it.
Is there a way to transfer a comment on 15x11 to
the changed xorg.conf so as to alert folks to
what's been done?
Anyway, the enormous praise and great fame are
well deserved. Thanks much.
@ forester
I presume you refer to LXDE main menu/System tools/Configuration editor,
but I've never understood just how to work that monstrosity.
I wasn't even sure it applied to 6.4.4.
Is there an instruction manual somewhere?
What I was looking for was equivalent to Win7 choice of disable
the Touchpad if another pointer was installed; not just suspend while typing.
& Thanks for reducing these ideas to match my level of expertise.
Last edited by utu; 03-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Micro Intel Core i5-8500T 2.1GHz 8GB RAM No AC/HDD/OS
$129.99
Dell Optiplex 7060 SFF Intel Core i5-8500 3GHz 8GB RAM No HDD No OS
$85.99