Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Offing One's Touchpad

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Offing One's Touchpad

    I prefer a nano/mouse to a touchpad on my laptop.

    I think I occasionally I may 'fall into' my touchpad
    making things happen I didn't intend, like losing
    all the text I've spent time putting into something
    or other.

    I thought 'disabling the touchpad' might
    solve my problem.

    Well, I can input TouchpadOff=1 to a terminal and
    get some temporary relief. But when I try to get the
    same action by putting this command in /etc/rc.local,
    I get nada, nothing, zilch. Sudos and Sleeps don't help.

    I'm not used to being ignored this way by /etc/rc.local.
    Can someone explain this to me, or better yet, tell
    me how to get what I want?

    I just want to write a few symbols somewhere that
    will disable my touchpad until such time as I want
    to undo this with a similar simple process.

    Enormous praise and great fame awaits the first
    really good answer to my problem.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Yeah, I've been put down by rc.local too
    but when I type touchpadoff=1 in the terminal nothing happens.

    what happens if you put the command in /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh? (if non-existing, create it)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @dinosoep

    touchpadoff=1 aint right.
    It's TouchpadOff=1
    After you enter that, you should get no action from the touchpad.
    That works, but it's temporary.

    My problem is that something occurs LATER than /etc/rc.local which resets this.
    I get into other troubles using /home/knoppix/.bash_profile.

    No enormous praise for you.
    Think bigger.
    Last edited by utu; 03-16-2011 at 06:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think that it should be possible to disable the touchpad in a configuration file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics with the following content
    Code:
    #
    synclient "TouchpadOff=1"
    #

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @dinosoep

    I thought the knoppix.sh= idea might work, too.
    Mild praise appropriate for your good idea.
    But, it doesn't do the trick.
    I tried this as an input stream knoppix.sh=/home/knoppix/.bash_idea
    ...where .bash_idea is a script I KNOW works (temporarily).


    @ klaus2008

    Hi, klaus. Here's my choices:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/etc/X11/Xsession.d$ ls -a
    . 75dbus_dbus-launch
    .. 80im-switch
    20x11-common_process-args 90consolekit
    30x11-common_xresources 90gpg-agent
    40x11-common_xsessionrc 90x11-common_ssh-agent
    45knoppix 98vboxadd-xclient
    50x11-common_determine-startup 99x11-common_start
    52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules

    Any of these seem appropriate?
    And can I edit one of these files 'live'?
    Last edited by utu; 03-16-2011 at 07:06 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Sorry, the DOG ate my whitespaces:

    knoppix@Microknoppix:/etc/X11/Xsession.d$ ls -a
    .................................................. ............75dbus_dbus-launch
    .................................................. ............80im-switch
    20x11-common_process-args....................90consolekit
    30x11-common_xresources......................90gpg-agent
    40x11-common_xsessionrc.......................90x11-common_ssh-agent
    45knoppix......................................... ......98vboxadd-xclient
    50x11-common_determine-startup...........99x11-common_start
    52libcanberra-gtk-module_add-to-gtk-modules

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think that it would be a good idea to create a new configuration file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics because creating a new file is as easy as editing an old one. In both cases you need to be root. I would use the editor leafpad by issuing
    Code:
    sudo leafpad /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics
    in a terminal.

    After you have created or edited the configuration file you must restart you Xserver in order that the new configuration will be used. In most cases it will be sufficient to hit the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. But do not forget to save your work before you restart the Xserver.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I'm not used to being ignored this way by /etc/rc.local.
    Can someone explain this to me ?
    Ah.

    rc.local (and knoppix.sh) are run from knoppix-autoconfig, which executes in a root context at run level 2. X-11 is started during the transition from run level 2 to run level 5. You are trying to change a setting in X-11 before it is there to influence.

    In layman's terms, you are trying to toss the omelette before you've broken the eggs.

    Did you know that the gnome desktop has a setting "Ignore touchpad while typing" ? I don't know of an equivalent in any other desktop.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Klaus2008

    Your one-line solution works like a charm.
    I am mystified, since xorg.conf is UNCHANGED.
    Even so, the laptop's touchpad IS turned off.
    It is gone for both root and knoppix users.

    The only problem I see is one would have to
    review the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ entries to have
    a clue that a change was made and how to undo it.

    Is there a way to transfer a comment on 15x11 to
    the changed xorg.conf so as to alert folks to
    what's been done?

    Anyway, the enormous praise and great fame are
    well deserved. Thanks much.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ forester

    I presume you refer to LXDE main menu/System tools/Configuration editor,
    but I've never understood just how to work that monstrosity.
    I wasn't even sure it applied to 6.4.4.
    Is there an instruction manual somewhere?

    What I was looking for was equivalent to Win7 choice of disable
    the Touchpad if another pointer was installed; not just suspend while typing.

    & Thanks for reducing these ideas to match my level of expertise.
    Last edited by utu; 03-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is) picture

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)

$350.00



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit Gold

$44.99



IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D picture

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D

$219.99



SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe picture

SOYO SY25 R-Vesa Socket 3 Motherboard SiS Chipset Mainframe

$73.99