-
knoppix stops at "starting sound"
dear all,
yesterday my laptop has crached and i am trying to get some data with knoppix, i have followed the procedure but while starting up knoppix, the program stops at :starting sound...
any idea what the problem could be?(HD completely dead?)
thankx,
Danny
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
The good news is that Knoppix doesn't care if the hard drive is dead or even if there is a hard drive, so this isn't a sign that it is dead (although that is not assurance that it isn't). Not sure why it is hanging, I suggest trying to boot in expert mode. And obviously you don't need sound at all to recover data so if you can bypass whatever is hanging you might be good.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
The good news is that Knoppix doesn't care if the hard drive is dead or even if there is a hard drive, so this isn't a sign that it is dead (although that is not assurance that it isn't). Not sure why it is hanging, I suggest trying to boot in expert mode. And obviously you don't need sound at all to recover data so if you can bypass whatever is hanging you might be good.
thank you for the quick answer, but how do i boot in expert mode? can you explane to me please?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I likely haven't even downloaded the version that you are using, so I can only give information in general concepts. Also, I should mention that I'm about to go to sleep, so this will be my last quick response.
Basically, in expert mode you bypass the Knoppix automatic detection and tell it what hardware you have. This may allow you to bypass faulty detection that causing a hang. Just boot knoppix and type expert at the boot prompt. I suggest taking good notes on how you answer the questions; and if you do hang try again and answer the question that led to the hang differently. Also, you might want to do a Google search on knoppix expert mode (always good advice before asking this type of question). There might be a "cheat code" that would help you get past the hang, but I have never heard of a hang at this point, so I don't know what to suggest. However someone else might be able to make more suggestions or I may come up with something myself if you learn anything from your experiments with expert mode.
And I'm assuming that you confirmed with as md5 test that you have a good ISO download before burning the Knoppix disc, and that you burnt at low speed, otherwise you might just be hanging because you have a bad disc and expert mode isn't going to help that.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I suggest reviewing the cheatcodes - expert might be more "interactive" than you want. There's a copy of the file knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in the KNOPPIX folder, when looking from another OS, e.g. Windows. There are also copies posted on various websites - Google is your friend.
One quick option that will probably get you going enough to look at the hard drive is - just type that (or expert, if you like) in before the big penguin goes away, early in the boot process.
Cheers!
Krishna
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY
$89.00

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK Hybix 16GBx16 (256GB kit) 2Rx8 PC4-2933Y RDIMM RAM
$1200.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro
$189.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.88