Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mint 10 LXDE USB

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Mint 10 LXDE USB

    Some thoughts on Mint 10 LXDE for USB

    I thought I'd compare Mint 10 LXDE for USB with my Knoppix 6.4.4
    'install' on a 2 Gb SanDisk and my Dell 1545 laptop.

    Both of these have snappy LXDE/PCManFM desktops. I've become a
    little critical of Knoppix 6.4.4's fragile X, so I am looking to
    see just where that problem resides.

    I used a Windows Pendrive installer to create a USB directly from
    a downloaded Mint 10 LXDE CD iso. No intermediate CD required.
    This works fine, providing persistent store as well. Gives an almost
    identical initial footprint; however, OpenOffice isn't included.
    Adding OOo and a few other tweaks, I find there's about 300 Mb
    less space to begin with. Probably best to use at least 4 Gb
    if you have it.

    As most distributions are, Mint 10 is initially hostile to Broadcom
    wireless. I get around this by temporarily using an external wifi
    adapter that has the right political correctness, firing up synaptic
    and installing three bcmwl programs. Rebooting on the internal wifi
    then works just fine.

    Mint 10 is also initially hostile to using a nano/mouse rather than
    the built-in touchpad. No way to simply disable the touchpad.
    Adding a one-liner /etc/X11/Xsession.d/15x11-synaptics solves this
    same as in Knoppix 6.4.4.

    My initial housekeeping includes uninstalling Ubiquity, and
    disabling mint-fortune. Have begun my usual warfare with ntp in
    order to retain my own idea of desktop local time; usually works
    well until first automatic time correction.

    So far, no hiccups in X, but it's not been in use long. Stay tuned.

    ps. No Compiz, none at all.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Additional notes:

    Pendrive Windows program:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

    Mint 10 LXDE kernel (uname -a):
    Linux mint 2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:36:48 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

    Mint 10 LXDE promo:
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1705

    Mint Forums:
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/
    Last edited by utu; 03-18-2011 at 07:18 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Correction:

    Compiz is not installed by default;
    it is available via synaptic.
    Not a recommendation, just an observation.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Additional notes:

    Known Meerkat issues (Mint 10 based on Meerkat):
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeer...Known%20Issues

    Distrowatch package list for Mint:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

    Distrowatch package list for Knoppix, for comparison:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    I use mint on my laptop and knoppix on my usb. But I have a free 8g laying around. I'm going to give it a shot

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @dinosoep

    I think you may like it.
    Their material suggests no less than 3 Gb, and I agree.
    I think there is lot of Gnome stuff which takes a lot of space.

    So far no X hiccups.

    Good luck on your install.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mint 10's LXDE/PCManFM desktop seems solid enough to me. I don't
    detect any 'weakness' in its handling of X-duties over several days
    and several boot-ups. Never had an occasion where I needed ctl-alt-
    backspace or a re-boot to recover my control over the X-territory.

    There is an inconsistency though that is hard to overlook.
    Mint has many nice GUI amenities; many, I suppose depend on
    the Gnome infrastructure. The whole purpose of the LXDE
    approach was to get away from Gnome and/or KDE infrastructures'
    demand on computer resources.

    In comparing Knoppix 6.4 USB with Mint 10 LXDE USB, therefore
    we find that 2 Gb will suffice for Knoppix, but 3 Gb is required
    for Mint. Of course you can't buy 3 Gb, you have to buy 4.
    Considering the array of amenities, an 8 Gb install might even
    be preferable to sample all the offerings. But then why would you
    need a lightweight desktop in this situation. Takes all kinds, I guess.

    This experiment has exploded my prejudice that LXDE/PCManFM is
    inherently disposed to a weakness, which I've nick-named 'Fragile-X'.
    In my 2 Gb Knoppix 6.4.4 USB I occasionally have a hang-up in X which
    requires ctl-alt-backspace to recover. Occasions that require a
    full re-boot are quite rare, but they do occur.

    I now expect this 'weakness' may be unique to my own usage pattern or
    installation history, rather than unique to the basic design. I do know
    I'm not the only one having similar occasional problems, but that doesn't
    explain what's going on. 'Fragile-X' is a fact in my install, but just
    what does explain the phenom is unknown at present.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-12500 3.00 GHz LGA 1700 Desktop CPU Processor SRL5V picture

Intel Core i5-12500 3.00 GHz LGA 1700 Desktop CPU Processor SRL5V

$125.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good picture

Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good

$39.99



OEM Dell Optiplex 3080 5080 7080 MFF Fan ONLY JV47V 0JV47V picture

OEM Dell Optiplex 3080 5080 7080 MFF Fan ONLY JV47V 0JV47V

$11.40



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$798.00