Methinks perhaps you are trying to hard.
Did the cheat code not work for you ?
Code:knoppix desktop=openbox
as the compiz+lxde combination has a bug causing all tabs from all desktops to be allways visible, even when you disable it at the preferences I decided to try openbox just for fun.
So installed some openbox packages like obconf and removed compiz. then I went to desktop session settings to replace
withCode:compiz --replace
at the next bootup I was greated by a desktop without window manager. The only solution was to go to lxterminal and type "openbox --replace".Code:openbox --replace
Scratching my head trying to figure out what I did wrong I fired up desktop session settings. The problem turned out to be that knoppix resetted the openbox --replace line to it's default compiz --replace line.
Why the hell is this hapening (to me) again, there were persistency problems in the past and that was solved by following this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...highlight=lxde
I am running the cd version of knoppix 6.4.3 (have yet to try it on the 6.4.4 usb)
Methinks perhaps you are trying to hard.
Did the cheat code not work for you ?
Code:knoppix desktop=openbox
this gives me a beatiful gray background and no lxde stuff...
Don't tell me it's one of those cheatcodes interferring.
They've been proven very useful but the default behaviour should be that it doesn't reset to default or interfer if the cheatcode isn't called.
is there another way?
Sorry dinosoep, I'm a bit dense sometimes.
You said you wanted to try openbox and now you have. You get a very nice grey screen on which you right click to get a menu. Lots of otherwise undiscovered applications but not the ones you love and no desktop - openbox is a window manger, not a desktop manager.
I realise now that what you meant was you wanted to try LXDE on openbox, the way it is meant to be, instead of on compiz.
The thread you refer to says something about a bug in 6.4.3 that's fixed in 6.4.4. You're still running 6.4.3. You may not deserve much tea and sympathy.
You should not need to uninstall compiz and I'd suggest that's a bad idea until you've actually got LXDE working on openbox.
A window manager is not quite on a par with your ordinary app. I don't think KK created Knoppix by simply installing a compiz package or two and uninstalling a few openbox packages. You might need to understand what KK did to replace openbox with compiz in the first place before you can replace compiz with openbox.
Luckily for you that may not be so hard. Have a look in /etc/X11/xsession.d/45knoppix.
thank you, I'm going to take a look.
I have 6.4.4 and 6.4.3 but I'm still setting up some things on 6.4.4 to make it the way it's on 6.4.3.
I use the 6.4.3 version to mess around with but I'm going to whipe it and install linux mint usb and see how that works out.
glad to hear it's fixed in 6.4.4, I'm going to see if I can get it to work with openbox.
great, got it working
thanks for showing me that configure script I knew nothing about![]()
So you going to post details somewhere so everyone (including utu) can try this ?
The 'task bar panel showing all windows' bug fixed is it ?
Tips:
1) All meaningful configuration file are under /etc (somewhere) - there is usually no need to look anywhere else.
2) knoppix appears in the names of most (all ?) scripts KK has added to Linux - there aren't that many others he's tinkered with
3) KK tends to customise dynamically rather than statically - so his scripts alter other configuration files (and you tend to loose your static changes)
@ Forester
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45knoppix is a real 'find';
an education in itself.
Next time you chat with KK, why don't you suggest he add a
touchpad/external mouse correcting section in 45knoppix somewhere?
An example of an error you can't get rid of.
(this double post)
Last edited by utu; 03-20-2011 at 03:02 PM.
yes, the task bar show all windows is fixed
I'm not sure if thatCode:for LXDECONFIG in "$HOME/.config/lxsession/LXDE/config" "$HOME/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf"; do [ -r "$LXDECONFIG" ] || continue # X2Go: Can't use compiz if [ -n "$X2GO_SESSION" ]; then if grep -q '^window_manager *= *compiz' "$LXDECONFIG" 2>/dev/null; then sed -i -e 's|^window_manager *= *compiz.*|window_manager=openbox-lxde|g' "$LXDECONFIG" fi else if grep -q -v '^window_manager *= *compiz' "$LXDECONFIG" 2>/dev/null; then sed -i -e 's|^window_manager *=.*|window_manager=openbox --replace|g' "$LXDECONFIG" fi fi done
window_manager=openbox --replace
(it was originally compiz --replace)
should actually be
window_manager=openbox-lxde
anyway, it works without any discovered flaws

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$1444.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99