-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix 6.4.4 sg(x) performance
I realise this is not a knoppix problem, just hoping for frendly pointers and direction.
I have updated to knoppix 6.4.4 with kernel 2.6.37 and I have discovered a big problem for me with testing scsi hard drives using the sg(x) driver, compared to Knoppix 6.0 with a 2.6.28.4 kernel.
Just one of the many ways I have found to use knoppix, is as a scsi hard drive test environment. I have been using knoppix with kernel 2.6.28.4 for a number of years very sucessfuly.
I commonly test 14 scsi drives simultaneously in an external drive bay using for example scsi write-same "erase" command. Although we use a product from santools, smartmon-ux, sg_write_same is available form scsitools etc. The performance from this new kernel makes the test operation impractical.
Although, I can test one drive at a time under 2.6.37 with the same test time as 2.6.28.4, as soon as I load additional drives the test times sore from 18m to 134m. To make clear this does not happen under 2.6.28.4, and the write-same command takes very little I/O overhead.
I have tried googling and come across I/O throttling. Am I on the right lines?
I have attempted to research cgroups but the info is mainly on limiting throughput.
I have posted on the linux kernel mailing list, those guys are very, very busy.
Any ideas would be appreciated, happy to run any tests etc. Many reasons why I would like to keep 2.6.37.
Regards,
Will
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$95.00

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00