Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Boot from DOS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Boot from DOS

    I have managed to boot Knoppix from DOS (as per A.Jorge Garcia) but it boots in German.How do I change to English and is it possible to boot from 98SE desktop.....
    I have read of a boot-en.img but do not know where to find it.

    Can I use cheatcodes and if so how?


  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    If you used an EN version of the KNOPPIX ISO to burn your CD, then boot.img has everything you need on the CD in /KNOPPIX.

    Remember: (btw, I put loadlin.exe to my boot floppy)

    boot cd
    mount /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img tmp -o loop
    cp /mnt/floppy/loadlin.exe /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp tmp/vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp tmp/miniroot.gz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX

    I get the US keyboard and ENglish language by default this way.

    Good Luck!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Boot from DOS

    Hi Again ,Will this work with a poormans install and do you do above in a shell under Knoppix ?

    I am sorry to go on but I am very Green!!!!! and you seem to know what you are doing

    Why is this information not as say an FAQ or DOC maybe even a addition to Knoppix CD,as many people seem to be having the same problem!!


    Thanks Again for your help

    Dave.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Well, how are you installing PoorMan?

    If you can boot the CD directly:
    boot cd
    mount /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img tmp -o loop
    cp /mnt/floppy/loadlin.exe /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp tmp/vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp tmp/miniroot.gz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX

    If you boot from kernel bootdisk:
    boot cd with kernel bootdisk
    cp /mnt/floppy/loadlin.exe /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp /mnt/floppy/miniroot.gz /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX
    cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX

    In either case you can boot the new "install" (without the CD) with the kernel bootdisk. However, I would recommend the FastDOSbootdisk.

    Regards,

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Boot from HD

    Hi Again,

    I did the Poorman's install by following the DOCS..HDinstall

    copied Knoppix from CD to HD (hda1)

    copied files from boot-disk to Knoppix folder

    Booted using a DOS batch file...

    I can get it run in German! and I have no cheat codes to use...

    Booting from floppy works ... quicker but is unstable..

    I do think Knoppix was not really designed to run from HD in its compressed form.
    Maybe running Virtually as CD but from HD would work.....

    D.Templer

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    What boot disk are you using? If you are using the kernel boot disk created by rawrite, then make sure you use boot-en.img to make your boot disk. Barring that, use the cheatcode "knoppix lang=us" during boot up.

    BTW, I use this set up every day at school with all my students (75) in all my programming classes (4) in all my Pentium Labs (3) and everything runs great! I'm using V3.1 2003.0101, however, as I can't get V3.2 to work without crashing when I configure a printer and print from KATE....

    Did you see these links?

    FastDOSbootfloppy
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2273

    Poor Man's Dual Boot
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2192

    Good Luck,

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    37

    Boot ...

    Hi ,
    I am using 3.2 which is a little unstable (old PC does not help!).I will sit and read suggested threads.I used loadlin from my Red Hat distro.
    It does work as you say but under WIN98SE you have to run boot from DOS prompt.I think a boot floppy in my case is O.K. as I do not really use it for anything else.
    I am not sure about 3.1 but I think it comes with Gnome which is much smaller and I would rather run it unpacked on its own partition if space was not a problem (1gb maybe).
    A lot of what is with Knoppix most people would never use so if given the chance then I would go for a real install every time.

    Thanks Again For All Your Time & Help

    David Templer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00