-
Senior Member
registered user
Here's an update on Natty 11.04 just before Beta 2 arrives.
First, some background on Ubuntu 10.10.
My Dell 1545 has a Broadcom wifi which requires a wl driver.
This driver is supplied as source in Ubuntu 10.10.
Once compiled, initramfs must be updated. The intramfs
update operation concludes with an error of some sort.
Even so, the wireless works just fine.
One may also note later, that on bringing in an additional
new programs via synaptic that initramfs updates
never come to a graceful end. This description is very
similar to that of Ubuntu bug report 562312, which has many
'duplicates'. Most of these are Nvidia driver problems;
I never ran across another Broadcom complaint.
This problem was never solved in Ubuntu 10, but carried
forward to Ubuntu 11, but is now recognized as 'critical'.
I was able to eke out a quite usable LiveUSB made from
the LiveCD version of Ubuntu 10.10 on a 2 Gb SanDisk.
I am afraid that even with a 4 Gb USB, I have been unable
to create a reliable Ubuntu 11.04 from either its
LiveCD or directly from the LiveCD iso. The 11.04 problem
is both more subtle and more dire to encounter. In 11.04,
it would appear that with even minor post-initial-install
changes, the persistent store boundary is eventually
breeched such that what may have succesfully booted
several times before is suddenly no longer viable.
It would appear that Bug 685017 may be the Ubuntu 11
name for this problem, but even this new bug's description
leans on that of Bug 562312 for its explanation.
I have come at a Ubuntu 11.04 install from a variety of
directions, all with the same ultimate disappointment
of an eventually un-bootable USB. Before each of
these catastrophes, I've noted that virtually all the
nits I originally complained about concerning the included
applications have been satisfactorily solved.
I've got my fingers crossed that the two Bugs mentioned
will be killed before 11.04 is declared final.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

DELL Precision 5820 Intel Xeon W-2120 2.9GHZ NO RAM NO SSD/HDD
$141.85

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00