Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: The baddest download manager in the world.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    The baddest download manager in the world.

    If you don't already think Debian is the most awesome distro on either side of the Mississippi then this might help convince you. Do this:

    # apt-get install prozilla
    # apt-get install prozgui
    prozgui
    File>New URL (or CTRL+N)

    Now just go find that big fat 700meg .iso you've been wanting, browse all the way to the file - ftp or http, right click, Copy Link Location and past that into the New URL field>OK (You may or may not wish to select "Search for ftp mirrors).

    Sit back and enjoy.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    Cool, keep em coming!! Specially liked your abcde post btw..

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73
    Nice. Now all I need is a OC3 connection DSL just doesn't seem that fast when you download ISOs. Something to try at campus for sure though.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by MorskNorsk
    Nice. Now all I need is a OC3 connection DSL just doesn't seem that fast when you download ISOs. Something to try at campus for sure though.
    Of course all things are relevant and download speed is highly dependent on the servers you're downloading from, traffic, and a dozen other variables. With my cable broadband connection I would estimate that while using prozgui I usually average 200kb/s - 300kb/s. I don't put much faith in the "how fast is my connection" sites- that doesn't tell you anything more than your connection speed to their server. What impresses me is that it can automatically discover for itself whether the servers you're connected to are capable of resuming a broken download or not and will look for servers taht fit that parameter if instructed to do so. Also the fact that prozgui automatically looks for other servers and can get parts of a file from different sources and magically combine all of those parts from several servers into one complete file. I don't beleive that the occasional incorrect md5sums I've had were related to prozgui but rather a bad .iso posted on the server(s) or network problems. prozgui has always worked flawlessly for me.

    Of course DSL (or more likely ADSL) isn't as fast as cable but it's so much better than dial-up it's not even funny. What are your average download/upload speeds?

    I beleive that it isn't even possible to get 56k out of dial-up. The max AFAIK is 52k- how abysmal is that!?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus

    Of course DSL (or more likely ADSL) isn't as fast as cable but it's so much better than dial-up it's not even funny. What are your average download/upload speeds?

    I beleive that it isn't even possible to get 56k out of dial-up. The max AFAIK is 52k- how abysmal is that!?
    Mine (ADSL) maxes out at 150k/sec but used to be able to do 250-300 until they put the cap on it. The modems are limited by regulation IIRC to connecting at either 44 or 48.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I get about 60k on this blasted dsl connection. I was getting a lot more with cable, but I had to drop it because the wiring was really screwed up in my appartment building. One day I could no longer get a connection at all. I reluctantly moved to dsl (having been a former dsl help desk tech). I look forward to moving out of here and getting cable back.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73

    DSL Speed

    My DSL is capped at 40K down and something like 20K a sec up right now, but I had PacHell (O, sorry, SBC (a company so bad they have to change names, great)) before and after some months of going 40K I somehow got uncapped and was able to get ~150K a sec! I'm hoping that happens again

    Dial-up is abysmally slow. Realisticly I've only gotten up to 15K a second with them and that was a short spike late at night

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Wow- I'm amazed at how greedy the DSL guys are in some places! Isn't your connec speed directly proportional to the distance you are from your ISP when dealing w/ dsl?

    is it any wonder tho? Last week on CNN - of all of the corporate execs who have been charged recently w/ all of these corrupt business practices only one person has actually been sent to jail so far. Just one. Interesting how that works isn't it? Justice for sale (to those who can afford it?)

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Wow- I'm amazed at how greedy the DSL guys are in some places! Isn't your connec speed directly proportional to the distance you are from your ISP when dealing w/ dsl?
    That is cable the more people on the line the less bandwith you end up with down the line. With the DSL you get your own dedicated line, actually they use your existing line's unused capacity at least that is how it works here.

    is it any wonder tho? Last week on CNN - of all of the corporate execs who have been charged recently w/ all of these corrupt business practices only one person has actually been sent to jail so far. Just one. Interesting how that works isn't it? Justice for sale (to those who can afford it?)
    And of all people to haul into court over that they pick Martha Stewart supposedly for making a couple hundred thousand dollars. Go figure eh!

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Wow- I'm amazed at how greedy the DSL guys are in some places! Isn't your connec speed directly proportional to the distance you are from your ISP when dealing w/ dsl?
    Greed does not even begin to describe it. I guess that's what happens when you have a monopoly on the DSL market. It's quite reassuring when the telco has to run commercials saying they provide "infinite service" and all other kinds of bullshit claims. I'd consider Comcast cable but my apartment complex has their own cable monopoly!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    is it any wonder tho? Last week on CNN - of all of the corporate execs who have been charged recently w/ all of these corrupt business practices only one person has actually been sent to jail so far. Just one. Interesting how that works isn't it? Justice for sale (to those who can afford it?)
    Justice is for those with money or friends in high places (like all the N-Ron crooks).

Similar Threads

  1. hello world! did I have an really stuppid idea?
    By gmamorim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 03:41 AM
  2. rpm manager
    By alphaepsilonlamda in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 08:55 PM
  3. I new in knoppix linux world...my problem is...
    By almola in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 08:10 PM
  4. ... in a post-hdinstall world...
    By _jz_ in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 02:52 AM
  5. PC World Knoppix article online
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99