-
PXE booting knoppix 6.4.4 no cloop module...
Hello -
The 6.4.4 image that I downloaded from ftp.kernel.org does not contain the cloop.ko and aufs.ko modules that are required to be able to pxe boot. Copying in the modules from a previous version seems to work fine, but is there a reason these are left out of the iso?
Thanks.
-MichaelC
-
Hi mdcoffman and welcome to the Knoppix forums.
This is a curious one. You are not going to believe me but never mind.
The cloop.ko and aufs.ko are built into the kernel so while you won't find them they are there.
I've had Knoppix 6.4.4. PXE boot work (to my astonishment). It worked first time and all I did was start the Knoppix terminal server. I did not have to copy modules from anywhere to anywhere else.
Linux kernel modules are complied to run with a particular kernel. Modules from a 'previous' version of Knoppix just will not load into a different 'newer' version. It's a sanity thing.
Somewhere I think you have become confused.
See, I told you you wouldn't believe me.
-
You're correct, I became confused. I had used the miniroot and the linux kernel on the CD and not the ones that get created on a system running Knoppix when the terminal server is started. I booted from a CD, started the terminal server, then copied the goodies out of /tftpboot and it works now. Thanks for taking the time reply to my question.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

10G PCIe Ethernet Adapter AQC113 10GBase-T RJ45 NIC for Windows Linux NAS Server
$57.99

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS
$1499.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping
$22.99