-
Basic help recovering files off bad hard drive
I'm a novice Knoppix user and I'm trying to recover files off a Windows XP hard drive where the OS has failed. I had been successful in recovering files before, but it has taken me a while to try several ways to get it right and it has been a while since I've done this.
I'm trying to recover a user's personal folder from the hard drive to an external USB hard drive. I boot up to Knoppix and I can see three hard drives. One is the partitioned recovery HD and then the HD with the files I'm trying to recover. The other HD is the external USB drive.
I have gone into the properties of each drive and given them read/write permissions. If I try to change the permissions on the folders I'm trying to copy from and to I get the error "Could not change permissions for /mnt/uba1/recover". If I copy the folder I'm trying to move, in this case iTunes, to the external USB I get errors like "could not make folder mnt/uba1/itunes".
The files I'm looking to recover are on hda2 and I'm trying to move to a folder I created on the USB drive UBA1. From the hda2 drive I'm trying to recover this directory: /Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Music/iTunes. I'm trying to move them to the UBA1 to a folder named "recover".
Am I missing permission settings, is there a command that I can run that makes this easier?
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed
$245.57