Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: PXE booting knoppix 6.4.4 no cloop module...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    PXE booting knoppix 6.4.4 no cloop module...

    Hello -

    The 6.4.4 image that I downloaded from ftp.kernel.org does not contain the cloop.ko and aufs.ko modules that are required to be able to pxe boot. Copying in the modules from a previous version seems to work fine, but is there a reason these are left out of the iso?

    Thanks.

    -MichaelC

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Hi mdcoffman and welcome to the Knoppix forums.

    This is a curious one. You are not going to believe me but never mind.

    The cloop.ko and aufs.ko are built into the kernel so while you won't find them they are there.

    I've had Knoppix 6.4.4. PXE boot work (to my astonishment). It worked first time and all I did was start the Knoppix terminal server. I did not have to copy modules from anywhere to anywhere else.

    Linux kernel modules are complied to run with a particular kernel. Modules from a 'previous' version of Knoppix just will not load into a different 'newer' version. It's a sanity thing.

    Somewhere I think you have become confused.

    See, I told you you wouldn't believe me.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    You're correct, I became confused. I had used the miniroot and the linux kernel on the CD and not the ones that get created on a system running Knoppix when the terminal server is started. I booted from a CD, started the terminal server, then copied the goodies out of /tftpboot and it works now. Thanks for taking the time reply to my question.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD. picture

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.

$629.99



Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852 picture

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852

$559.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$200.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER picture

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER

$349.99



Ibm Computer Tower picture

Ibm Computer Tower

$400.00



IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested picture

IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested

$499.99