Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

    Hey! I'm having problems running clusterKnoppix on a couple of my computers.

    The first computer I tried my live cd on, it worked without a problem.. booted right up. Then when I tried to run it from my toshiba laptop, emachines computer, and hp computer.... they all experienced the same problem.

    They all fail... and the error:

    Code:
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit.
    I noticed that these 3 machines search for knoppix in every spot : hda1..hda2.and a couple outher variations.. but never in the one spot that my first machine looked, the machine that it worked on, /dev/scd0 i believe it was...

    how do i get this working?

    thank!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

    I'm trying to run clusterKnoppix live cd from a couple machines but it only works from one computer. The other three, my toshiba laptop, emachine, and hp machine can't find the filesystem.. the live cd stops booting and gives me a error saying it couldn't find knoppix filesystem and then gives me a couple commands to work with.. mount, umount.. and a couple more.

    I noticed that the machine that worked, my gateway, looked in /dev/scd1 or 0 don't remember.. the other machines don't even look in this file.

    How can i fix this?

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Wow ! The clusterKnoppix project died in 2004.

    When a (Knoppix) LiveCD boots the first thing that runs is the isolinux boot loader which loads and executes Linux. This runs some kind of start-up script (2004 is a long time ago in the Linux world) and that needs to mount the LiveCD and kick-off Knoppix for real. What appears to have happened on three of your machines is that Linux is running but it can't find the CD or it can't mount the CD or it can't find the Knoppix image on the CD.

    Since it works on one machine out of four this all suggests your CD (have you one or four ?) is not a good burn. When told this most people take offence. I don't see why. I've plenty of experience of burinng a CD on one machine only to find the next machine can't read it. The advice that is usually handed out is to burn a new CD at a really low speed.

    Sorry if that it not what you want to hear but I don't think you'll get any better advice.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Hi,

    Are you machines very old ?

    I seen a suggestion that:

    Code:
    knoppix ide1=reset
    might help if Knoppix can't find the CD/DVD drive but I've no idea if that is available with your clusterKnoppix.

    I've also seen it reported that:

    Code:
    knoppix noapic
    does the trick on some older machines.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3600 UDIMM 288-Pin XMP 2.0 picture

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3600 UDIMM 288-Pin XMP 2.0

$720.00



Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz picture

Micron MTC4C10163S1UC48BA1 8GB RAM DDR5 4800MHz

$87.00



TeamGroup T-Force Dark 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz CL14-16-16-31 1.2V Heatsink picture

TeamGroup T-Force Dark 32GB (4x8GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz CL14-16-16-31 1.2V Heatsink

$63.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$140.00