Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help me get back my Knoppix cd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10

    Help me get back my Knoppix cd

    Im sure you dont read this one too often. I made a knoppix disc and locked myself out of it by editing the virtual consoles part of the inittab script. I wanted as few sessions open as possible to lock it down. In retrospect this was a stupid idea and I know that. Before I had time to make a new disc the hd i was creating the image on crashed and now i am up the proverbial creek. I thought about making a terminal session with a script on a floppy and using floppy config, but I'm fairly new to these administrative tasks and am totally lost. I spent hours and hours customizing this disc and starting over seems like an impossible task. what should I do?

    Will

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    you can still extract the data using the tools on the Knoppix Customization pages ( in the docs section of this site ). Some methods of customization extract the CD Not from the booted CD itself, but using a program that reads the compressed KNOPPIX file.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    oh i didnt know that! thanks alot

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    i looked through the docs but couldnt really find anything that did what i wanted. so i tried the extract_compressed_fs command that comes with cloop-utils. its been extracting a while and its only a 100mb image. am i doing the right thing or should i kill this...

    will

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for your help! I finally got the CD Customizer script to work. Someone should update that program a little bit to make it a little more user friendly, or at least some better instructions. Id be glad to

    Will

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix is very nice, but I forced to switch back to win xp
    By wilson001 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:25 AM
  2. Getting new ideas back into Knoppix
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
  3. Problem booting back into Win2K after running Knoppix
    By P4p4Psm3rph in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-26-2003, 05:13 AM
  4. OK, installed fine. But I want that COOL knoppix theme back!
    By Fluid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 05:11 AM
  5. knoppix troubles after install - back to desktop/LX
    By malic in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition picture

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition

$88.00



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$79.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU 6-Core 12-Thread 3.2GHz 3.6GHz Boost AM4 19MB Cache picture

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU 6-Core 12-Thread 3.2GHz 3.6GHz Boost AM4 19MB Cache

$15.95



Intel core i7-4790 CPU picture

Intel core i7-4790 CPU

$30.00