-
Junior Member
registered user
Help me get back my Knoppix cd
Im sure you dont read this one too often. I made a knoppix disc and locked myself out of it by editing the virtual consoles part of the inittab script. I wanted as few sessions open as possible to lock it down. In retrospect this was a stupid idea and I know that. Before I had time to make a new disc the hd i was creating the image on crashed and now i am up the proverbial creek. I thought about making a terminal session with a script on a floppy and using floppy config, but I'm fairly new to these administrative tasks and am totally lost. I spent hours and hours customizing this disc and starting over seems like an impossible task. what should I do?
Will
-
Senior Member
registered user
you can still extract the data using the tools on the Knoppix Customization pages ( in the docs section of this site ). Some methods of customization extract the CD Not from the booted CD itself, but using a program that reads the compressed KNOPPIX file.
-
Junior Member
registered user
oh i didnt know that! thanks alot
-
Junior Member
registered user
i looked through the docs but couldnt really find anything that did what i wanted. so i tried the extract_compressed_fs command that comes with cloop-utils. its been extracting a while and its only a 100mb image. am i doing the right thing or should i kill this...
will
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for your help! I finally got the CD Customizer script to work. Someone should update that program a little bit to make it a little more user friendly, or at least some better instructions. Id be glad to 
Will
Similar Threads
-
By wilson001 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:25 AM
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum Ideas
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 08:06 PM
-
By P4p4Psm3rph in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 05:13 AM
-
By Fluid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 05:11 AM
-
By malic in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware
$649.00

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)
$149.99

VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)
$69.99

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT
$7250.00

DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$100.00

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$95.00

(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is
$170.00

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$79.99

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99