Hi BoDiddley,

An interesting question.

KDM is the display manager for KDE, GDM is the display manager for the Gnome desktop, XDM is the Xorg display manager and LXDM is the display manager for LXDE so why would you want KDM with LXDE ?

Knoppix has no login. The display manager is the program that handles login on other Linux distributions. Knoppix does not run a display manager. That would not be Knoppix any more. Plenty of people who don't understand this ask how they can get Knoppix to force a login. Finally someone who asks the question the right way round.

So why to I think you might mean KDE (not KDM ?).

If you started with the CD edition then all you have is LXDE. There is no display manager. I have the DVD edition which has KDE and Gnome as well. With these I also have kdm and gdm. I'm running a KDE desktop right now but KDM is not used: no login. This is Knoppix.

You have installed to HD. I've never seen a hard drive install. I'm told that it is basically Debian. You can install KDM if you want. To use it you'd have to get in a undo the Knoppix start-up. What is it you want to do ? It may be easier to just install a proper desktop Linux - Debian with KDE desktop or Kubuntu so something.