-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi, again DirkS
It never occurred to me that your problem was not having internet.
How is it we are having this dialog? And, where did you get 6.4.3?
Clearly, we need to know more about your set up: Live or HD,
CD iso or DVD, etc.
I only use the CD versions of Knoppix, but I know the DVD
versions have much more software on them to choose from.
I favor Knoppix as a LiveUSB with persistence because I never
liked the hassle of dual-booting. I'm blessed with broadband internet.
Also Knoppix is the most friendly of all distros in regard to the
Broadcom wifi that's in my laptop. I also favor the LiveCD iso
over the DVD since it allows very compact USBs to be made from it.
LiveUSBs made from a Knoppix LiveCD iso have a built-in option that
gives you a chance, albeit brief, at every boot to establish persistent
store, until such time that you do so.
-
Ahem.
I'm not sure if you are kidding me. In case you are not, here is my serious answer:

Originally Posted by
utu
It never occurred to me that your problem was not having internet.
How is it we are having this dialog? And, where did you get 6.4.3?
I got 6.4.3 by downloading it at home, where I have internet (and where I am now, therefore being able to communicate with someone remote). Then I took it to the company where I need to ask for an IP address that I can use for some time on that machine while not running the normal OS, and set up the network with it, something I did not do because I felt that it was not worth the effort. So, theoretically I could have had an internet connection in that case.
But my question was: WHAT IF I don't have internet?
There are still cases I know where internet access is not possible, for different reasons, most likely security. And then...?
Are you saying that Knoppix is not meant to be used in these environments? But - if it is not, why does a DVD image even exist? All I need would be the most basic Debian system with simple web browser and a tool to do the network configuration. Everything else could be downloaded. Alas, this would require an easy-to-use persistence system...

Originally Posted by
utu
Clearly, we need to know more about your set up: Live or HD,
CD iso or DVD, etc.
DVD, live. (I considered an installation to HD, but the installer insists on wanting 1GB of swap and wants me to repartition the HD and put a reiserfs(!) filesystem onto it.)

Originally Posted by
utu
...
I favor Knoppix as a LiveUSB with persistence because I never liked the hassle of dual-booting. I'm blessed with broadband internet. Also Knoppix is the most friendly of all distros in regard to the Broadcom wifi that's in my laptop. I also favor the LiveCD iso over the DVD since it allows very compact USBs to be made from it.
I see, thank you. That explains a lot.
Up to now I preferred the DVD, because it contains more software and I don't need anything else (no need to convince the BIOS to boot from USB and I even prefer to disconnect the network cable when I don't really need it). Also, contrary to an USB stick, a CD/DVD cannot be altered/infected - by design. Plus, a DVD is much cheaper than a USB memory stick.

Originally Posted by
utu
LiveUSBs made from a Knoppix LiveCD iso have a built-in option that gives you a chance, albeit brief, at every boot to establish persistent store, until such time that you do so.
That would be an option, even though it would not be my idea of a perfect solution. I'll look into it. Thank you!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working
$150.00