Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: PCLinuxOS-LXDE 10.12

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    PCLinuxOS-LXDE 10.12

    PCLinuxOS-LXDE includes (at least the makings of ) an up-and-coming LiveUSB
    that I think is worth watching.
    Similar in may ways to Knoppix 6 with LXDE and persistence,
    at least potentially.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/

    Isos are available on a high bandwidth provider; see
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06411

    The distro is in active development; PCLinuxOS 10.12 is 'the latest', I think.
    It has an active forum in which the pricipal developer interacts with users.
    The forum has an LXDE discussion group and a remastering group.
    The distro treats Broadcom wifi very handily, and gets on-line much faster
    than Knoppix with Network Manager does.
    It uses sqfs to compact filesystems.

    On the other hand there is a lot of grubbing taking place; lots of multi-
    booting fans, and no MBR is safe in their company.

    At present, I've not broken the magic seal of persistence, but 'I'm on it'.
    That aspect is abysmally different than we're used to with Knoppix.
    Last edited by utu; 04-20-2011 at 10:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Cool. I tried that one. Question: Is it still installing to an extended filesystem (IE. EXT)?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I've made a nice LiveCD on Fat32. Works very nicely, but no persistence of course.
    I think it's likely the LiveUSB may have to be on ext2 or ext3.
    A GUI for making the LiveUSB is apparently in preparation right now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I probably should have said I have emulated a LiveCD
    on a USB formatted with fat32. My Bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



PfSense: 4x1Gb 4x10Gb 2x40Gb, E3-1275 v5, 32GB, 80GB, AES-NI (Supermicro X11SSW) picture

PfSense: 4x1Gb 4x10Gb 2x40Gb, E3-1275 v5, 32GB, 80GB, AES-NI (Supermicro X11SSW)

$359.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00