Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 3.4: How to edit isolinux.cfg after creating iso?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix 3.4: How to edit isolinux.cfg after creating iso?

    Greetings!

    Before version 3.4 it was possible to extract boot.img from the ISO image for editing syslinux.cfg boot options with the knoppix-customize -tool, but now that the startup is isolinux -based in the new Knoppix version, I haven't been able to find a way to modify the iso image after building it. Are there any tools available to do this? Win32 executables would be ideal, but Linux tools will do also.

    Thanks!

    P.S. Anyone found a simple way to replace/remove the small penguin logo that appears after the boot image?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    I figured this out myself... Didn't realize I could just use winiso directly to modify isolinux.cfg

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2
    how can I do this in Linux ?
    knoppix-customize doesn't work anymore since 3.4.

    Dominique De Munck

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7
    you're not supposed to be able to modify an iso file.
    So you have to mount your iso file

    mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 image.iso /mnt/cdrom

    and then copy the files from there, modify the isolinux.cfg, and create a new iso...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Sorry for digging up a very old thread

    I have a really small knoppix iso (under 100mb) which just boots up with a small set of tools and scripts to maintain backups & restores of tivo disks.
    I need to modify and re-create the iso, but I spent 12 hours yesterday following tutorials on making a knoppix remaster with only limited success

    I thought there must be a simpler way to make the minor modifications to the exiting iso and got excited to find this thread.

    I have mounted the iso using farvardin's tip but of-course its 'read only'.
    I changed the command and remounted using:

    mount -t iso9660 -o rw,loop=/dev/loop0 image.iso /mnt/cdrom

    but any attempts to copy a new file in gives a "cannot create regular file Read-only file system".
    I also tried a "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/cdrom" but to no avail.

    I suspect even once I figure out how to make changes to the mounted file structure, the next problem will be the re-creating the bootable iso, because even though I managed to get partial success with the knoppix remastering scripts yesterday, the iso's I ended up with looked structured properly but wouldn't boot up in a VMWare session. The original works fine ?!?!

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I need some sleep

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Sorry for digging up a very old thread

    I have a really small knoppix iso (under 100mb) which just boots up with a small set of tools and scripts to maintain backups & restores of tivo disks.
    I need to modify and re-create the iso, but I spent 12 hours yesterday following tutorials on making a knoppix remaster with only limited success

    I thought there must be a simpler way to make the minor modifications to the exiting iso and got excited to find this thread.

    I have mounted the iso using farvardin's tip but of-course its 'read only'.
    I changed the command and remounted using:

    mount -t iso9660 -o rw,loop=/dev/loop0 image.iso /mnt/cdrom

    but any attempts to copy a new file in gives a "cannot create regular file Read-only file system".
    I also tried a "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/cdrom" but to no avail.

    I suspect even once I figure out how to make changes to the mounted file structure, the next problem will be the re-creating the bootable iso, because even though I managed to get partial success with the knoppix remastering scripts yesterday, the iso's I ended up with looked structured properly but wouldn't boot up in a VMWare session. The original works fine ?!?!

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I need some sleep

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    Sorry for digging up a very old thread
    Hi drh and welcome to the Knoppix forums. I am sorry no one else has replied to your post.

    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    I have a really small knoppix iso (under 100mb) which just boots up with a small set of tools and scripts to maintain backups & restores of tivo disks.
    What release of Knoppix is your really small iso based on ? Are just trying to tweak this iso or are you trying to create a new one using a current version of Knoppix ? If you are trying to tweak a really old Knoppix there is probably no one on the forum who would dare try to help.

    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    I need to modify and re-create the iso, but I spent 12 hours yesterday following tutorials on making a knoppix remaster with only limited success
    I fear you are not the only one. The Knoppix wiki pages don't say which version of Knoppix they describe, which is a shame as things do change over time. I think the wiki pages describe Knoppix 5. If you are trying to use Knoppix 6 (or something really old) then the wiki pages may need careful (re)interpretation. Knoppix 6 has been around for two years now so don't expect the wiki to be updated any time soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    I thought there must be a simpler way to make the minor modifications to the exiting iso and got excited to find this thread.
    Now for the bad news.

    I sympathise but my understanding is that iso file systems are read-only and any modification, however small and reasonable, is not possible without generating a whole new file system. I think its something to do with the read-only nature of (most) CDs and DVDs

    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    I managed to get partial success with the knoppix remastering scripts yesterday, the iso's I ended up with looked structured properly but wouldn't boot up in a VMWare session. The original works fine ?!?!
    Yes. Knoppix 5 had a cheat code that went by the name of bootiso= (I think) that allowed you to boot a remastered iso for testing purposes without actually burning a CD. That's gone with Knoppix 6 and it seems folks now test their remastered iso using a virtual machine. You now know more about this than I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by drh View Post
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    Do your tivo servers have USB ports (even 1.1 ports) and a BIOS equivalent that will boot UFDs ?

    If so, I would suggest you install to UFD and create yourself a persistent store. You should be able to get what you need done and test it for real without remastering. You could of course, then go on to remaster but it probably isn't worth the effort.

    P.S. How do you install to UFD ? The wiki is out of date. Use a small UFD (aka pendrive aka USB stick aka ...) and select "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" from the Preferences menu.

    Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix/Isolinux Boot Config
    By justin_c in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 09:39 PM
  2. Editieren der isolinux.cfg f. eigene Knoppix 3.7-CD
    By rgruhn in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
  3. Isolinux
    By Sir.Linux-on-a-floppalot in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2004, 03:41 PM
  4. isolinux / syslinux remaster the latest knoppix
    By Ambrose in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 04:24 PM
  5. How to use ISOLINUX instead of SYSLINUX?
    By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s picture

RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s

$399.99