-
Remaster for Wifi thin client (wifi not working)
Hi I'm a newbie tring to make a Thinclient OS out of Knoppix.
My goal is to have a ThinStation like solution but having much more contron on what happens on the client and avove all a single ThinClientOs for a withe range of x86 obsolete PC-clients.
Knoppix has by far the best in terms of hardware support and I have managed to boot to a strip X session with only the thin client app. (not desktop manager) Sound and all hardware detection still seams to work fine.
I have a HD install a some scripts to strip out all things I've managed to determine that are not needed to make things work.
Now I'm trying to make clients to auto connect to a specific WiFi with Wep encryption. So I' uninstalled network-manager and edited
/etc/network/interfaces
##
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid Network name that has spaces
wireless-key wepkey
##
ETH0 works but not wlan0
*******
Then I saw that the sequence of commands
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "MAESTRIA IT" key 12345ABCDE
dhclient wlan0
did the trick once I've booted so... (just to try)
I placed a Script at /etc/rc5.d/S27nethack
##
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "nteName WithSpaces" key wepkey
dhclient wlan0
##
But it not just doesn't work at boot it does not work when ran by hand at shell.
TESTING and TESTING again I found that the line:
iwconfig wlan0 essid "nteName WithSpaces" key wepkey
Works when ran by typing it at the Command Line but not when with in a script.
If that line runs in a script the following dhclient wlan0 can't get a IP address.
Any clues on what is going on and how to make an automatic connection to a WEP WiFi at boot up?
Thanks.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99