-
Hi Jon Jaroker and welcome to the Knoppix forums.
No reply probably means no one has seen this warming or they just don't take any notice. After a couple of days your post has dropped down the list and it unlikely to get a reply.
Yes, it would be really nice is someone knew that mkisofs has simply got its block count wrong and the warning from create_compressed_fs was just noting thismk.
I can't see anything wrong with your methodology except possibly character sets.
Googling does not help much: compressed_fs is not widely used outside of Knoppix and mkiosfs isn't: it's geniosimage. It's a 'dead fork' created around 2007 as a result of a difference of interpretation of 'free' that failed to be reconciled in the usual amicable fashion that the Open Software movement is so famous for. Wikipedia mentions character sets as a possible root cause.
It means if you Google for mkisofs you don't know which hits refer the version you are using and which refer to the real thing. The syslinux site's isolinux page (Knoppix LiveCD uses isolinux as a boot loader) recommends 1.1.13 but Knoppix has the 'dead fork' version 1.1.11 (which claims to be equivalent to 2.01 of the original). Meanwhile the original mkisofs has moved on to version 3.
You may be able to check the integrity of the output of genisoimage using the tools described by:
I think genisoimage should give you an md5sum. Run this for yourself to check. See
To check the integrity of your compressed image you would need to associate it with a spare cloop device:
Code:
losetup /dev/cloop1 /home/remaster/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
It should then be possible to run md5sum and isoinfo et al on /dev/cloop1.
There is other stuff you could so but you are not going to get the bug (if there is one) fixed. If I were worried by the warning I would not trust the output. I would regenerate the iso until I got compression with no warning.
I don't see why genisoimage should have any hardish memory or processor requirement but to be on the safe side, I'd run these commands while my machine was otherwise idle and all big applications closed. That is while I'm asleep, out to work or just watching a real television.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5" 128MB Cach SAS ST4000NM0125 HDD hard drive
$59.99